Discuss PIR Wall lights with SW & L terminals in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
PIR Light.png

Dear all,

Please see attached a picture of a wall light from a customers house. The customer has 5 of these in total, they are now getting old and failing (poss due to running led lamps in non led fittings) Each light has a built in pir. They are all wired together from 1 switch inside the property.

They therefore are left on and work independently when sensing movement.

There is also a stand alone PIR on the drive, this sends another feed to the lights (seems bypassing the integral pir & connecting the the lamp) and energises.

The driveway PIR is also powered by the same switch (unable to see where this is joined)

The lights are cabled with 4 core PVC, SW, L, N & E. The L is used for independent use, the SL from the driveway PIR.

I discovered this set up when I arrived to fit the replacement lights supplied by the customer. the challenge is, the new lights don't have a SW option, only L,N & E. I cant get in to the PIR or lamp terminals to add a direct SW feed to the L.

So...... after all that, does anyone know where I can get wall lights in this style with built in PIRs and a SW & L fitting option? None of my suppliers have yet come up with anything.

I should also explain that the property is a grade 2 listed thatched cottage which I am unable to alter the wiring on (the switch is wired normally- one way with just C & L1)

I hope that makes sense!

That is the lights the customer purchased, but with only L,N &E and no way of fitting a direct feed to the lamp for the SW I cant see a way of getting that to work with the driveway PIR.

That is the lights the customer purchased, but with only L,N &E and no way of fitting a direct feed to the lamp for the SW I cant see a way of getting that to work with the driveway PIR.
Only option would be to tell the client to return them and find fittings which do have SL terminal.

Thanks, yes that's what ive done. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows where I can get a fitting like those as I'm not having any luck finding any.
Not so often found on the cheaper light fittings so that probably won't help. Is there no way of opening up the fitting and adding what you need

Doesn't strictly answer your question but what about this as a work around, you could place the wireless PIR's in less obvious positions and power all the lights from the PIRs, there is another make called Niteguard which are more industrial looking. they would all come on rather than being individually switched?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...ighting_Index/Spectra_Wireless_Pir/index.html

That may just be the solution bud.

The Screw fix could potentially be opened up but they are cheaply made & not sure how the customer would feel about me invalidating any warranty.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Searchlight, Massive and Elstead lighting companies all make very similar fittings and one of those may be a good match, but they will be more expensive than the screwfix one, though they are all fairly cheap.
Try castlegate lights, ocean lighting or light at home websites.

Reply to PIR Wall lights with SW & L terminals in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net