Discuss PIR zone 1 bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi here...

After a PIR (which is going to switch fan) but will be located in Zone 1.

Anyone know of any that are suitable ?

Many thanks,

Sy

Only 12v SELV switchgear is permitted in zone 1,with the source installed outside the zones.This may not be practical as a stand alone PIR,can you not install it outside the zones?
See P.70 of the onsite guide for equipment permitted in bathroom zones.

could that definately go in zone 1 then....? thats the sort of thing I'm after though if suitable

Well, it says 'sealed' though that is a vague description. Wirepuller is right about 12v stuff in Zone 1. Trouble with many lighting (etc) suppliers is that they say "suitable for bathrooms and shower rooms" without being specific about zones.

Might be worth emailing the manufacturer or having a hunt around Welcome to the DANLERS Lighting Controls, Energy Saving Controls and HVAC Controls and Website

Some fixed 230v current using equipment can be sited in zone 1,but I would class a PIR as switchgear therefore a 230v PIR cannot be sited in zone 1....(IMHO)

I fear that's right. The brochure for this unit is not clear about zones and I suspect it's not Zone 1. If you can get an assurance from the manufacturer that it is OK then you should be fine.

Otherwise a 12v (security?) PIR with a 'remote' relay?

This is only how I read the Electricians guide to the building regulations but it says under luminaires '230V fittings can be installed above a shower or bath but they must be IPX4 rated'

As a PIR is a switch though this could be different but I couldn't see the problem aslong as it is IPX4 rated.

Also above 2.25m is outside of prescribed zones.

Yeah didnt think this was going to be possible.... bit of a sketchy area, so will have to a re-think.

Thanks for all your feed back anyhow..:)

The regs state that the following mains voltage fixed permanantly connected equipment can be sited in zone 1.
Whirlpool units,electric showers,shower pumps,ventilation equipment,towel rails,water heaters,luminaires.
The regs state that switchgear and accessories located in zone 1 must be 12vac or 30v ripple-free dc selv,with the source located outside of the zones.

As far as I can see that means a 230v PIR cannot be sited in zone 1 regardless of i'ts IP rating.

Reply to PIR zone 1 bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net