Discuss pir in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

hue-jarse

-
DIY
Reaction score
HI all
First post on here so be gentle!
I want to connect a pir in my garage to switch off my 1.5kw compressor. Would your average home/diy pir do the job.

Many thanks
Jarse

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

Your a mechanical engineer and we assume you have an understanding of electrics???

1.5Kw load on a standard domestic PIR would not work. They are normally rated at 400-800w. You need a contactor set up and this is something that a DIYer should not attempt themselves.

Last edited:
most PIRs that are intended for floodlight switching will handle up to 2500watts. it may be that the type of load ( i.e. inductive) is unsuitable. try one and see.

missed "off". could be done using a latching N/C contactor.

HI all
First post on here so be gentle!
I want to connect a pir in my garage to switch off my 1.5kw compressor. Would your average home/diy pir do the job.

Many thanks
Jarse

So do you want the compressor to switch on or switch off when a person is detected?

Rather look at occupancy sensors than a standard PIR motion sensor. You'd probably require a relay or contactor in the circuit between the sensor and the load to do the grunt work of switching the compressor which will be a highly inductive (AC3) load with a considerable starting current.

Reply to pir in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there, I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody. We had a Texecom system installed 3 years ago. Earlier this year we had a battery problem and the installer came back and changed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I want to add a PIR to a porch light but I want the original light switch to still behave as it always has. i.e. both the light switch and the...
Replies
Views
I needed to illuminate our dark side walk at the house. I have used two PIRs wired in parallel which switch four LED lights. The idea is no matter...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm an I.T.. engineer with some outdated electrical experience. I qualified C&G 2330 17th edition about 15 years ago, but my only experience...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock