Discuss Pirates in the Gulf of Aden in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oh yes Captain Pugwash with Master bates and Seaman Staines it took me a long time to work that out having watched it as a kid. Perhaps Cap'n Redbeard instead eh @buzzlightyear ?
Not sure what program you were watching, but there was no one called Master Bates or Seaman Staines in Captain Pugwash, and the cabin boy was not called Roger either. It is was a student joke that has now become an urban legend apparently. Though Master Mate is quite close.

Last edited:
I am here!

I suggets you lot read this

Amazon.co.uk: be more pirate - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=be+more+pirate&adgrpid=52716615043&hvadid=259072632434&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046942&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2739415926319088725&hvtargid=kwd-409159782233&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_8hgl79h9l2_e

Those were the real pirates.

The somali ones are simply terrorist thugs, and if they attacked my ship I would happily blow them to smithereens, and their wives and children, to prevent the procreation of the species...

Because they are/were crewed by cheap inexperienced labour, many ships that operate in those seas now have anti piracy equipment fitted and it happens a lot less.......wouldn’t go through there in a yacht though :)
Pirate is right thought those Somali are state sponsored terrorists....they even sell shares in the spoils before attacking.

Because they are/were crewed by cheap inexperienced labour, many ships that operate in those seas now have anti piracy equipment fitted and it happens a lot less.......wouldn’t go through there in a yacht though :)
Pirate is right thought those Somali are state sponsored terrorists....they even sell shares in the spoils before attacking.
You are rather well informed BE you got shares or something:tongue:. joke.

Ha ha I wish! Spent many years working on ships as a stevedore (second generation) trust me once they put the piracy barriers on and replaced the crew with some seriously hard Russians the piracy rates dropped rapidly :)

Ha ha I wish! Spent many years working on ships as a stevedore (second generation) trust me once they put the piracy barriers on and replaced the crew with some seriously hard Russians the piracy rates dropped rapidly :)

Agree now that is one country that doesn't take many prisoners either. Got locked up there once my self Scary times back in the mid 80s, only for a few hours mind you, for a motoring offence, still scary though.

Met many people from all over the world on them ships Pete and the Russians were without doubt the hardest/coldest people...
I had 17 Russian staff to supervise, most of them were Ochin Harisho OK in Pidgeon Russian.

I have a major dislike for them.
Why is that SW? Genuine question. I found most of the Local Guys I worked with were OK just from a different culture, just wanted the same things we wanted, It's the system they lived under that is at fault, I respected their views and they reciprocated, I think. Before you ask "No I aint a Commie either"

Never met a polish man that did like a Russian either SWD.....things used to get a bit frosty if some of our polish boys had to spend to long with them in the hold of a ship! Got many polish friends and not one of em is a fan of mother Russia....the Russians were always cagey as well cos the older poles could all speak Russian very well :)

Why is that SW? Genuine question. I found most of the Local Guys I worked with were OK just from a different culture, just wanted the same things we wanted, It's the system they lived under that is at fault, I respected their views and they reciprocated, I think. Before you ask "No I aint a Commie either"
Agree there Pete the system was/is strange...

Never met a polish man that did like a Russian either SWD.....thing used to get a bit frosty if some of our polish boys had to spend to long with them in the gold of a ship! Got many polish friends and not one of em is a fan of mother Russia!
Don't suppose many folk wouldn't have a dislike for anyone that annexed them for so many years.

Reply to Pirates in the Gulf of Aden in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net