Discuss Plasterboard fixings in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Olec

I have one of these wall hung electric fires to fit for a neighbour of mine. It is a case of moving off the old dimplex type heater and simply mounting this one. The problem I have is that the wall it is to be mounted on is a metal stud (C channel) and the new one weighs 13kg.
All other heaters in the flat are mounted using standard plasterboard fixings (pig tails) but they only weigh about 4kg max. Chopping out board to fit noggins is not an option so does anyone know of a better type of fixing for this as I don't want to find it's hanging off the wall in 6 months, thanks :)

I dont know what they're called but to describe them they are metal raw plugs that as the screw is tightened in them they spread wider behind the board and dig themselves into the back. B&Q sell them. Should do the trick.

I'd use these

Hollow Wall Anchor 5 x 52mm 8-16mm Pack of 10 - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

Have seen 1200 double radiators fixed with them are they're still on the wall

You'll also need the tool to spread the wings properly

if your really worried you could cut a hole in the plasterbord [behind where the radiator is to be fixed] slide some timber batten through the hole and align fix with screws through plasterboard fit some battening to replace the plasterboard you have removed easyfill then fit radiator to battening you have aligned,
i know you said it wasnt an option but this way it wouldnt be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
mad frankies idea is not as daft as it sounds , if you cut a hole the size of a double dry lining box behind where the heater is to go( you can usually get your hand through the hole) , mark where your heater fixing is going push your battons through the hole and secure then fix your heater fixings in place ,put a drylining box in the hole and put a blank plate on it and then fix your heater job done ... and its as simple as that

Some steel trunking lid cut to the width of the heater fix to the metal battens then mount the rad bracket with Orbix self tappers into the lid. Thats if there are enough metal battens behind the heater.

13 kg is more than I would want to hang on any PB fixing,you also have to allow for mechanical stress on the fixings as well,people leaning against it etc.
I think I would be inclined to fix a piece of 18mm ply to the wall using the uprights ,with a couple of spring toggle type PB fixings between as well, decorate to match ,and fix the heater to that.

Thanks for all advice guys, I will either go for the toggle bolts or the anchors as they both look decent. Don't wanna be mucking about cutting holes as this is a unpaid favour for some help they gave me so don't want to mess about too much. I will tell them that i'll do my best with PB fixings but it's down to them if their willing to take the risk!

thats the thing with unpaid favours you dont want to do that little bit more because your giving more than what you were given. why dont you say to them that you can do it by cuttig holes but it would cost a little because of time involved.
i dont think there going to like you so much if theres a hole in the wall becuase the weight of the heater has pulled the fixings through.
good luck

Reply to Plasterboard fixings in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net