Discuss Plastic conduit into metal cu in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post here.

I’m a newly qualified spark mainly working in domestic houses, I got a job coming up where I’m planning to install pvc conduit for some sockets in garage attached to a house.

Would installing pvc conduit affect the fire rating of a consumer unit or would I just be fine putting some fire putty around the conduit bush / cable entry points

Thanks

This is the big misnomer with the 18th fire collapse reg , the containerment doesn’t have to be made of metal only the fixings have to be metal (fire proof)

You can still use pvc conduit/pvc trunking but must use something so if in a fire it doesn’t collapse eg metal saddles will do just the trick...

As for the consumer unit entry , no you don’t need to use putty so long as there is no massive gap around the hole

Second @davesparks re: the CU being constructed from non-combustible material.

Some of the other advice needs to be taken in context.
Metal clips and fixings are required in some circumstances where cables run horizontally above head height.
Cables run vertically or horizontally attached to walls would not normally require metal fixings.

Some of the other advice needs to be taken in context.
Metal clips and fixings are required in some circumstances where cables run horizontally above head height.
Cables run vertically or horizontally attached to walls would not normally require metal fixings.

I've often wondered about this point myself. Typical examples I've seen when discussing this reg, have been cables etc fixed above doorways or ceilings, which could cause entanglement for fire fighters for example in the event of a fire.

However, wherever a cable etc has been installed on a surface, would it not be subsequently difficult to argue it did not require metal fixings etc? Just because a cable is installed vertically or below head height, doesn't mean it can't be a possible entanglement hazard during a fire.

I have no difficulty in arguing just about anything.
Different solutions for different situations.
For instance, I would not be overly concerned about a drop in MT2 down to a light switch.
Then again, if the drop was from another length of trunking run horizontally close to the ceiling, I may have concerns.

My point however, is don’t run around using metal clips and fixings willy nilly, assess each situation, and only install where necessary.

I have no difficulty in arguing just about anything.
Different solutions for different situations.
For instance, I would not be overly concerned about a drop in MT2 down to a light switch.
Then again, if the drop was from another length of trunking run horizontally close to the ceiling, I may have concerns.

My point however, is don’t run around using metal clips and fixings willy nilly, assess each situation, and only install where necessary.

I know you do.

You clearly have never caught your foot in a lain extension cable. However, I've have only knowledge of the 17th, where this only applied to 'escape routes'. The 18th I'm led to believe, applies to all areas?

I have no knowledge of fire fighting, but I'm led to believe they can use the perimeter of a room to navigate a smoked filled room; perhaps they might be on hands and knees to fight the fire. Would it matter in what elevation a loose cable is installed to present a hazard in this situation.

Plastic conduit into metal cu E9969DCA-7861-41C6-AC10-2467DF6F6734 - EletriciansForums.net
Above is a photo of one wall in my old workshop, that I wired in 2009.
There’s about 12 sockets dotted around, 2 light switches and an FCU for my grinder/polisher. All used metal saddles just as shown in the photo.
This was wired some time before there was a specific requirement in the Regs. for metal fixings.
If I had been wiring something other than a workshop containing flammable gases, flammable liquid and other flammable substances, I doubt I would have used metal saddles.

As for fire fighters navigating the workshop by keeping to the walls, I don’t think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Above is a photo of one wall in my old workshop, that I wired in 2009.
There’s about 12 sockets dotted around, 2 light switches and an FCU for my grinder/polisher. All used metal saddles just as shown in the photo.
This was wired some time before there was a specific requirement in the Regs. for metal fixings.
If I had been wiring something other than a workshop containing flammable gases, flammable liquid and other flammable substances, I doubt I would have used metal saddles.

As for fire fighters navigating the workshop by keeping to the walls, I don’t think so.

I doubt their would even enter a garage such as your example; they'd just squirt stuff in there. When a building is smoke filled, feeling by touch is one of the tactics firefighter use to navigate a route, if they are required to enter a building. Which after all is why entanglement is such a danger.

By the way, you can get treatment for Pathological hoarding :)

Reply to Plastic conduit into metal cu in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock