Discuss Plastic Light fitting with metal trim & no CPC in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a couple of lights on a circuit that does not have a CPC. The light fittings are plastic but they have a metal trim that screws into the plastic body.
I wonder if anyone can advise me if these are deemed as safe considering the main body of the light fitting is plastic and the metal trim is not connected to any other metal within the light.

Many Thanks

does the fitting have the square within a square symbol indicating that it's class II?

I have a couple of lights on a circuit that does not have a CPC. The light fittings are plastic but they have a metal trim that screws into the plastic body.
I wonder if anyone can advise me if these are deemed as safe considering the main body of the light fitting is plastic and the metal trim is not connected to any other metal within the light.

Many Thanks
is there an earth terminal on the metal part? come on man get a grip

Some light fittings that include metal parts can still be classed as double insulated and not require an earth.

The manufacturer should provide this information, and there will be the "double square" marking. The cables inside will typically be double insulated, and often the connections enclosed in a small junction box that comes with the fitting.

However, it is not uncommon to see such fittings badly installed, especially in the UK with loop-in wiring, e.g. with a permanent live in a choc block in proximity to metal parts and no double insulation.

Reply to Plastic Light fitting with metal trim & no CPC in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock