Discuss Plastic Switchgear Enclosures - Acceptable in barn? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SparkyChick

Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've tried to find the answer to this question, but I've drawn a blank.

Situation... location is a barn, attached to a domestic property. This will be a sub-board supplied in T+E from the main board in the house.

The question is... is a plastic board acceptable or should it be metal?

My interpretation of the regs is no, plastic is not acceptable because it's attached to the house.

Comments and thoughts?

The plan is a small plastic enclosure in an IP rated box, to provide some additional mechanical protection and weatherproofing. The barn has some large openings and some daylight through the roof :)

But, just trying to ensure I'm complying whilst not spending too much of the clients money :)

How about a metal ip rated enclosure with a din rail etc. No need for 2 boxes and if the worst did happen it wouldn't catch fire and destroy the barn

If it was an industrial/commercial setting, I could be tempted, but it's basically a domestic setting (a small holding effectively) so I'm reluctant to go down that route due to the exposed live metalwork that would be present. If I use a small CU at least all of the live stuff can be contained.

So long as it's not at risk of damage I suppose that would be ok. I know what you mean about containing live parts in the cu. If someone opens the metal box they could potentially touch anything in there that is live.

I wouldn't worry about potentially exposed live metal work, a good earth should sort out that problem.

You can but I'd still be concerned about damage. Especially from those nasty little rodents that like to chew through everything. If there is food about it's hard to keep the rats away. I've seen cables that have been chewed through by rats before

The plastic CU is going in a steel IP68 enclosure which will be mounted at head height (roughly). The cables will all be SWA. Conduit makes it prohibitively expensive. There was evidence of one cable being chewed through by a rat, but that was at ground level. Within the barn itself, I saw no evidence of any rodent damage to any of the existing installation (now decommissioned and in a sorry state) which was wired in T+E.

Since I've no chance of getting a suitably sized bond through (the T+E that will supply is already in place and looks to be in good nick), I'll be TT'ing, with a 10mm bond running with the SWA that goes through to a separate shed. This will be buried, and protected where it runs down the walls.

The main driving force for my question is that metal weatherproof enclosures seem to stop at garage units which only have 3 circuits... this requires more. After that, if you want metal, they become prohibitively expensive... cheaper to whack a non-weatherproof board in a weatherproof box.

If the supply cable was going to be installed, I'd agree with you, but it's not, it's already there so I'm just going to be using it.

Like the idea of the meter box though, good thought :)

sori when I read your first post... "this will be a....." I assumed none of it was in yet

ive used a surface mount meter box before with a metal board inside, took the swa cables through compression glands in the meter box, then armoured glands into the dis board inside it... no creatures getting in there!

I'm in the process of putting final pricing together for the job and I've been giving it some thought... I'm going to cut a hole in the back of whatever enclosure I use and stick it over the cable entry into the barn... problem solved :)

How are you going to support the swa cables considering the entire area of the barn being an escape route.

How are you going to support the swa cables considering the entire area of the barn being an escape route.

I'm planning on clipping the cables to the lights to the roof trusses (metal trusses, using clips designed for the purpose). They are the only cables that will go overhead in open space, the rest will be running along the walls, nothing going over doors. They'll be fixed to the walls with plastic cleats with some glav band on every other one.

Reply to Plastic Switchgear Enclosures - Acceptable in barn? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net