Discuss Plastic versas Metal CU's - your chance to vote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well, simply check all the terminations in a CU are sound as part of your I&T.
You can't go around willy-nillingly condemning installations as unsatisfactory because of 'combustible' CUs.

So what exactly are LFB and the IET doing regarding AMD 3 then ???

How DO you code a potential fire hazard cus that's the road this is all going down ????

You put a Code 2 in for a wylex rewireable, then?

To date I wouldn't be coding any properly installed consumer unit including older wylex boards with anything more than C3 at worst.

LFB say, and I quote.

Moreover, manufacturers have shifted to mainly using moulded plastics for the casings of consumer units, instead of metal or rigid plastics like Bakelite which were used previously and which have much more flame retardance.

But after January next year we all need this clarified in writing and officially.
Its no good burying heads in the sand or arguing amongst ourselves, its a very real problem for all of us.

A cu's been operating for 20 years so we condemn it for nonconformity and being a fire hazzard.
You're missing the big picture mate, Think of all the people we can con into getting shiny new metal CUs.
Oooooo Sorry Mrs Pensioner, that's illegal that is.
This time next year Rodney. Oh hang on, we've got consciences.

A plastic CU will be at worst a C3. However, if you read some of my learned friend Mr Skelton's recent posts on the matter you'll see that plastic CUs in domestic situations have not been banned after all. Far from it in fact

And we can all thank him for a very informative post.
I fully agree with his findings, however having spoken to a couple of branch managers within well known suppliers the manufacturers are definitely heading down the all metal route regardless.
Its a panic jerk reaction IMHO because its been hurried through with no real thought of the route cause or how to inject some practical common sense into the whole situation.
LFB have said here the problem, sort it, and by the way metals a good material.
No ifs no buts metal it is then.
Not my opinion so don't shoot the messenger.
I'm just saying we all need to pay careful attention as to how this whole mess developes.

You're missing the big picture mate, Think of all the people we can con into getting shiny new metal CUs.
Oooooo Sorry Mrs Pensioner, that's illegal that is.
This time next year Rodney. Oh hang on, we've got consciences.

But we already have that with rewirables......remember that railway ejit

The manufacturers are also looking to up their prices on the back of it too. One rep I spoke to reckons his companies CUs will be 100% more expensive.
Still full of combustible goodies though

A cu's been operating for 20 years so we condemn it for nonconformity and being a fire hazzard.

NO mate WE DONT.
And neither should anyone else.
LFB quote even refers to this in my post 64.

Its the more modern ABS boards that are being the focus on AMD 3
And as said, the manufacturers are all gearing up for metal clad replacements.

Just click on the links listen and read what they say.

I am simply saying if you walk into some ones home after Jan 16 and they ask the question is my consumer unit safe. You are going to say what ??
It is because it complied with an older version of BS7671, but its not compliant now but don't worry that situation as presented itself many times in the past, don't be concerned.
Only this time you have to say "the reason your board no longer complies is because London Fire Brigade have reported a large number of electrical fires have been sourced to your style of board"
But don't worry its fine, you and your family sleep well tonight.
And that's exactly what this stupid regulation and the way manufacturers are addressing the issue is going to do.
In my opinion there nothing wrong with plastic consumer units I like many have fitted hundreds.
Its the way they are installed and the integrity of connections that are the problems they even admit that.
Plastic is not the problem, but they are making it seem that way, and that is not a good place to start, just wait and see.

NO mate WE DONT.

I am simply saying if you walk into some ones home after Jan 16 and they ask the question is my consumer unit safe. You are going to say what ??
It is because it complied with an older version of BS7671, but its not compliant now but don't worry that situation as presented itself many times in the past, don't be concerned.
Only this time you have to say "the reason your board no longer complies is because London Fire Brigade have reported a large number of electrical fires have been sourced to your style of board"
And that's exactly what this stupid regulation and the way manufacturers are addressing the issue is going to do.
In my opinion there nothing wrong with plastic consumer units I like many have fitted hundreds.
Its the way they are installed and the integrity of connections that are the problems they even admit that.
Plastic is not the problem, but they are making it seem that way, and that is not a good place to start, just wait and see.

Fair enough.......but keep yer wig straight......no need to shout. We all understand you, that's why you get the likes.

NO mate WE DONT.

The LFB should start by getting mains powered interlinked smoke alarms installed in every home in the UK by 2020, mandatory on change of ownership or tenancy. Plus a smoke near the CU too.

Now that would have made sense.

I wonder if any of these fires in consumer units were caused by the roll out of smart meters? When Bgas fitted mine he fitted the meter in a different position on the board and I assume he tugged and twisted the tails. wife had noticed the lights dimmed when the oven was on and when I opened up the consumer unit the I was met with the fishy smell the neutral was loose in the terminal.

I dont do domestic but does this happen often? sure you boys will know

Do I think we need metal consumer units in domestic? I am of the oppinion that a lot of the old stuff was terminated better (2 screws in each terminal etc) seems most of the fires are from loose terminals so maybe clamp up on this area first (pun intended)

Not voted in the poll as metal consumer units may in some circumstances stop a fire spreading but its better to stop it starting. Prevention is better than the cure, but a cure is better than nothing.

Fair enough.......but keep yer wig straight......no need to shout. We all understand you, that's why you get the likes.

Not a wig, the ruddy cats fallen asleep on my head.
Not shouting either, just pressing the keys (gently).:icon12:

But on a more serious note,
I have been around since the 14th edition, and I am telling you guys of all the regulations that have been banded around and chopped and changed over the years this non combustible board thing is going to leave the average sparky's dangly bits directly under a hovering sledge hammer.
After Jan 16 the qualified not competent electrician will have to decide what code to use on ABS consumer units, if any.
In my book once you say something is a potential fire hazard it should receive a code 2
And that exactly what AMD 3 is implying.
I don't feel these boards should be C2 neither do you, but think about it !!
That's the position and decision your going to have to make.
And AMD 3 has it all written in there.

simple really. just needs a box editing into the eicr forms entitled "i refuse to code the following item/s pending clarification by IET". then enter the CU or whatever other item is covered by a muddy regulation.

The manufacturers are also looking to up their prices on the back of it too. One rep I spoke to reckons his companies CUs will be 100% more expensive.
Still full of combustible goodies though
Yeah the new Hager boards are considerably more expensive.

Reply to Plastic versas Metal CU's - your chance to vote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net