Discuss PLC for a beginner in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve never used a PLC before but have found myself looking at a job which is going to put me onto that particular learning curve.
This is for lighting control, nothing to do with machinery or similar applications.
I’ve done a bit of research comparing features, price, availability, reviews etc and come to the conclusion that Siemens look like a pretty good bet. Does anyone here with experience in the field have advice? Are Siemens a popular unit or are they one to avoid?

I have looked at Siemens logo smart relays for other jobs and trialled them in demo software and found it to be pretty good but never actually got to using one.
I don’t think a smart relay will do this job as all the ones I’ve looked at don’t have enough I/O for what I need. At the moment I’m looking at 24 push button inputs and 48 outputs (based on the old, failing, system)

Allen Bradley are also popular but Siemens holds a large market within the UK and most people are trained with Siemens their support is also very good.

It’s an Allen Bradley unit in the old system, with two old failed units sat in the bottom of the cabinet. The story is that the system has been trouble since it was installed and the old guy who knew how to fix it (from what I’ve seen this means he bodged and bypassed things until it worked) has now retired.
So the customer wants a whole new control system

Right up my street. I'm not an electrician.

Siemens do a logo and Rockwell (Allen Bradley) have a micro 810.

Both are smart relays, they don't quite make it into the plc category. However they are cheap use the same basic functions and the software is free.

The software for PLCs is the biggest cost. For even basic stuff you're looking at 1k.

Schneider also do something similar.

All 3 are the same basic part with a different shell an badge. Different firmware.

Need any support just drop me a line, I can check part numbers, an if you end up struggling with code. I could write you it in 30min.

Just seen the amount of IO you need, look at a Siemens s7-1200. You should be able to get a starter kit for 500. You can't add many IO modules to those base models. However you could use some cheap et200 remote IO. Compact and have a small footprint. Are the digital outputs you need relay type or thyristor? As this will change the density you can get the modules in.

Also, for the cost of that many pushbuttons it would be more cost effective with a small 4inch touch screen. Save wiring and panel size. Plus you can change what you like on the fly.

The software for PLCs is the biggest cost. For even basic stuff you're looking at 1k.

Need any support just drop me a line, I can check part numbers, an if you end up struggling with code. I could write you it in 30min.

Just seen the amount of IO you need, look at a Siemens s7-1200. You should be able to get a starter kit for 500. You can't add many IO modules to those base models. However you could use some cheap et200 remote IO. Compact and have a small footprint. Are the digital outputs you need relay type or thyristor? As this will change the density you can get the modules in.

Also, for the cost of that many pushbuttons it would be more cost effective with a small 4inch touch screen. Save wiring and panel size. Plus you can change what you like on the fly.

Cheers Rob

I’ve been looking at the S7-1200 starter kits, which if I’ve read it right include all necessary software along with a basic touchscreen for a sensible price as you say.

I’ve thought about the touchscreen option, but as an additional control station which they don’t currently have. At the moment the spec is to reuse the master panel and remote push button stations in each individual area.
Currently the system has all of the master station push buttons wired in parallel with the remote ones.

Some of the outputs will be switching contactors for the actual outgoing circuits and the rest operating LED status indicators on each remote station.

Ive used allen bradly most of the time but seimans equipment has a good track record.
with either plc whether you are using a contactor or directly wiring through a triac its always a good idea to place fuze's in the output circuits this can prevent damaging the plc.

Cheers Rob

I’ve been looking at the S7-1200 starter kits, which if I’ve read it right include all necessary software along with a basic touchscreen for a sensible price as you say.

I’ve thought about the touchscreen option, but as an additional control station which they don’t currently have. At the moment the spec is to reuse the master panel and remote push button stations in each individual area.
Currently the system has all of the master station push buttons wired in parallel with the remote ones.

Some of the outputs will be switching contactors for the actual outgoing circuits and the rest operating LED status indicators on each remote station.

Yes the starter packages come with the basic TIA software you need for programming the PLC and HMI. You don't get all the functionality but you wont need it.

Something like this would be ideal:

6AV66517DA013AA4 / 6AV6651-7DA01-3AA4 - Siemens S7-1200 Starter Pack including CPU1212C ac/dc/relay, KTP700, s/w & doc - https://www.parmley-graham.co.uk/automation/siemens/plc-s/s7-1200/6av6651-7da01-3aa4

You will need an additional IO module or 2. It comes with a nice 7" touch screen and the software.

In my opinion, if you're using a lot of outputs just for LEDs, use the HMI to display this too. Saves wiring time, don't need as much IO and becomes more flexible. You can also add company logos and personalise it. In my opinion it looks far more professional. It's something really simple but for a client it looks impressive and they think they are getting more for their money.

You can have more than one HMI on the system. You can use them to display information about the system in the form of alarms. E.g a fuse has blown on xx circuit.

Like I said, if, whatever PLC route you choose you need a hand or something explaining let me know. It wont take me long to put together something for you to get you going or explain it.

Sorry for sounding like a dehngis but what exactly is a PLC?
I noticed Trend mentioned above I’ve done some work with their systems iq3 xcite and the 963 front end on BEMS is PLC just another term for that or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I noticed Trend mentioned above I’ve done some work with their systems iq3 xcite and the 963 front end on BEMS is PLC just another term for that or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Yes, BMS systems use very basic PLCs. Usually with some form of telemetry unit so the system can be controlled locally.

A PLC (Programmable logic controller) is (simply put) a box, with inputs and outputs. The inputs go in, the logic insides then determines if an output turns on.

For instance if input 1 is on turn output 1 on.

I’ve never used a PLC before but have found myself looking at a job which is going to put me onto that particular learning curve.
This is for lighting control, nothing to do with machinery or similar applications.
I’ve done a bit of research comparing features, price, availability, reviews etc and come to the conclusion that Siemens look like a pretty good bet. Does anyone here with experience in the field have advice? Are Siemens a popular unit or are they one to avoid?

I have looked at Siemens logo smart relays for other jobs and trialled them in demo software and found it to be pretty good but never actually got to using one.
I don’t think a smart relay will do this job as all the ones I’ve looked at don’t have enough I/O for what I need. At the moment I’m looking at 24 push button inputs and 48 outputs (based on the old, failing, system)

I have a stack of notes on PLC programming. Only ventured into the world of PLC last year. Took a Siemens course which was intense. Also use Mitsubishi FX and Q series. Prefer Mitsubishi to be honest! Software is expensive and Siemens is the more expensive of the two.

7 months on and the job is finally happening!

The first stage of the job has happened, the old control system is out and the new panel is in, I've got all the existing circuits working and returning next week to start the next stage of adding the new elements to the system.

I opted for the Siemens s7-1200 PLC and managed to get the hang of writing very basic ladder logic programs pretty quickly, or at least enough to get lights to come on when buttons are pressed.
And the bonus was that the program actually works!

I will update this thread as the job progresses and I'll try to get some pictures so you can all take the ----

Sounds promising, are you using TIA step 7 ?
What's the panel controlling?

Yes, TIA portal step 7 which came bundled in the starter kit.

The panel is controlling lights. Specifically the backstage working lights in a theatre.

Control of these lights is via a master pushbutton station with some zones having their own local pushbutton stations. There is going to be a button at stage door to provide a last out / first in function. And also this system will incorporate 'grid beacons' which are flashing beacons to warn people of overhead work, this includes a sounder which will give a 3 second tone when the beacons are switched on and a different tone when they are switched off.

So it's very basic stuff as far as the PLC goes, but a good learning experience.

a plc is a programmable logic controller ( as small real time automation control computer used in many pieces of industrial equipment such as conveyor systems, packaging equipment, or any process you want automated)
a plcc is a programmable logic controller computer! This is a dedicated computer permanently connected to a plc system to manage and program multiple networked plc, slc's and vfd controller banks found in motor control cabinets.

plc and slc systems use ladder logic programming and sometimes panel view for simple interface programming using block diagrams

Reply to PLC for a beginner in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net