Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Please advise me on safety of loose plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Stephi

Stephi New EF Member

Hi, I'm not an electrician or anything of the sort but I'm hoping to just get some quick advice. In moving my bed I accidentally somehow pulled the faceplate of a plug socket loose so now it's at an angle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I won't be able to get in touch with my landlord until the morning so I'm hoping someone can advise me as to wether it's safe or if I should turn everything off at the fuse box for the night.
    Apologies if I'm in the wrong place and thanks.

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Just try not to touch it until your landlord fixes it should be a simple task of just screwing it back, unless of course you have broken the fixing lug off in the back box , either way a simple repair, don't let your landlord fob you off with a hike up price. No nee to switch your fuse box off. Just leave it alone the Electrician should be able to fix that in 30mins max

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi Stephi and Welcome to the Forum :)

4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

tell the landlord that the back box should be buried in the wall so that will not happen again when moving the bed .

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Seems a rather drastic conclusion Buzz.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    The socket will need to be replaced as you have broken the part that the screw holds in the socket front and it is potentially dangerous until that is done. When I say dangerous, I mean if anything touched the live parts in the now exposed back of the socket, well I am sure you understand what might happen. Just (as stated above) give it a wide berth.

7. PEG

PEG Forum Mentor

Hi,where have both the screws gone?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stephi

Stephi New EF Member

Thanks everyone, my landlord's handyman is coming over later to check it out and fix it, probably an overreaction on my part but I was worried about it starting a fire or something. Thanks again for the help!

9. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Non switched hmmmmm

10. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Looks like it has been unscrewed and left loose to me. No wonder it moved when you caught it.

As above, let landlord know and don't touch it. Have you got kids or pets in the house?

11. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

Handyman....

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Advise landlord first. He may want to send someone he knows rather than risk some random.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Resu

Resu Forum Mentor

All I can see is a loose socket not a loose plug ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Your middle name George?

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. freddo

freddo Regular EF Member

Don't question it, it's one of the few posts from Buzz I've actually been able to understand! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1