Discuss Please Can Someone Tell Me if the Wiring in My New House Looks Safe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 111456

Hi everybody,

I have no idea what constitutes safe wiring but I thought some of the stuff around my fuse box looks a bit suspicious. Any thoughts, help and advice would be much appreciated.

20180909_203731.jpg20180909_203651.jpg

Hi Liam

There are 3 generations of Starbreaker MCB'S in that consumer unit......suggesting a lot of additions. 2 Electric showers too....

Give the guy on the inspection sticker a call if you cant find your Electrical Installation Certificate or Electrical Installation Condition Report from 2016 and ask him for another copy. You may have to pay him a charge for this.

By looking at it only, I can see it is a bit of a hodge podge, it has been added to many times. Some parts look old. but in general nothing imeadiately sticks out as dangerous, it may not be "Best practice" but it works. But if it bothers you, then you can have an electrician come in and tidy it up and bring it up to the latest code, but be warned bringing it up to code,is going to cost a bit of money. But usually worth it.

The service head and associated cables, look a bit old & tired. Those cables look smaller than the meter tails.The white bulge on the service cable, I wonder if thats where the earthing conductor is counted, then morphs into the green/yellow EC.

I'd ask your DNO what they think of it (probably say its fine!).

I'm waiting for the electrical safety report from my landlord but I just wanted to make sure there was nothing glaringly obvious.

Thanks everyone, that was really helpful.

Hi Liam

There are 3 generations of Starbreaker MCB'S in that consumer unit......suggesting a lot of additions. 2 Electric showers too....

Give the guy on the inspection sticker a call if you cant find your Electrical Installation Certificate or Electrical Installation Condition Report from 2016 and ask him for another copy. You may have to pay him a charge for this.
Well its got a recommended retest date of 2021 on that sticker on the board do you have any of those records?
Considering that the previous EICR was carried out 2 years ago I wouldn’t rely on those results to be accurate anymore.

You should consult an electrical contractor for the wiring issues as electrical issues are not something that can be taken lightly. You can contact the T G Gregory & Sons
[automerge]1568009560[/automerge]

You should consult an electrical contractor for the wiring issues as electrical issues are not something that can be taken lightly. You can contact the T G Gregory & Sons
[automerge]1568009560[/automerge]
Hopefully the T G Gregory & Sons electrical capabilities are better than their observational abilities ;).
He's probably had the house rewired by now!

Get an EICR (basically an MOT for house wiring)

Should cost no more than a couple hundred quid and will flag up any potential issues

This is an old thread peeps. Not sure it's going to help the OP replying to it. Mind you, might help other people who come across it. Clearly TG Gregory and Sons found it somehow. :) lol

Come on @jasongregory . You have done 3 posts and 2 of them plug TG Gregory and Sons.
I'm surprised they haven't been removed for personal advertising..

We took a harsh stance on this kinda thing for too long IMO. Until we point it out to them more obvious than a line in the terms that nobody reads, they don't realise, it's kinda my fault I think.

I'm making an 'advertising on electriciansforums.net' thread as we speak. And we can link people to that then in the future. But right now it's not clear what our position on it is. Short of members saying they're all a no-go. Which perhaps was our position once.

So I'll let this guy off. He's only plugging a sparky business. It wont work the way he's doing it. But he wont know that until he tries? Dunno.

It's not hurting us short of pulling up an old thread. That's okay with me for now.

If he sold lights to sparks, I'd explain what the crack is. But he's not.

Thanks for the heads up though peeps. :)
[automerge]1568030509[/automerge]
Come on @jasongregory . You have done 3 posts and 2 of them plug TG Gregory and Sons.
I'm surprised they haven't been removed for personal advertising..
Ta-daaaaaaa.

Done it.

Link to that in future lads. It's a sticky thread in all main forums. :)

That's the first draft. Pretty sure it's okay. Let me know if you spot something wrong in it.

@jasongregory - See here: Advertising with ElectriciansForums.net - What's allowed? - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/advertising-with-electriciansforums-net-whats-allowed.178037/

Cheers

Last edited:
I know it's an old thread but I can't see anyone pointed out the inc oming supply is going into a metal body. We had a similar thing and the DNO came out and replaced it pronto as they use insulated cutouts nowadays for safety reasons. This is not something the property owner has to pay for, as the equipment is maintained by the DNO.

There we go, that's why we allow replies to old threads. :)

If you spot a locked one (they were automatically locked at one point a year or so ago once they didn't get a reply for 90 days or something) report it and say 'open please' in the report and we'll get on it. :)

Reply to Please Can Someone Tell Me if the Wiring in My New House Looks Safe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net