Discuss Please Help PIR Nightmare in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

U

U WATT

Hello,

Would really appreciate a little help. I have recently installed an outdoor lighting circuit complying to 17th edition regs. My client wanted a pir installed to trigger the lights but also wanted to be able to switch the lights on aswell.

So i ran a 3core SWA 2.5 to the pir and another to my first light. I then terminated them into a 1gang two way switch so i could then seperate the SW.

The switched live works perfect and the lights operate perfectly. When i switch to the pir the lights stay on all the time?

Does anyone know what i have done wrong?

Does the pir need a 5 min warm up?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D

You've possibly activated a PIR override, turn the switch off and leave it off for about 30 secs, then on again.

Hello,

Would really appreciate a little help. I have recently installed an outdoor lighting circuit complying to 17th edition regs. My client wanted a pir installed to trigger the lights but also wanted to be able to switch the lights on aswell.

So i ran a 3core SWA 2.5 to the pir and another to my first light. I then terminated them into a 1gang two way switch so i could then seperate the SW.

The switched live works perfect and the lights operate perfectly. When i switch to the pir the lights stay on all the time?

Does anyone know what i have done wrong?

Does the pir need a 5 min warm up?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Have a read of the installation instructions. These things usually have a stabilise time of 5 minutes or more.

Cheers..........Howard

When I wire them this way I use a 2G switch, one for on and off and the other for PIR usage, needs to be wired in 3C+E for my method.

Just spent 5 mins drawing that out to see how I would do it.
(I haven't needed to wire one that way as yet ! ).
My 1 gang 2w switch would be...
permanent live to common.
L1 would be "supply" to the PIR. ie energises it upon closure of L1.
L2 would be sw live to the light. And also the sw live output from the PIR.

So the switch would operate:
L1 closed: power to PIR. output from it operates lamp.
L2 closed: PIR de-energised. sw live operates lamp.
Rough drawing attached !
However. My knowledge of PIRs isn't too good. So I've had to assume that the energised switched live wont harm the PIR when it's turned off ?
Please Help PIR Nightmare ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323983177.653590 - EletriciansForums.net

Whereas, if you wired it so.......

Two way switch -

Common - Switch Live to light

L1 - Permanent Live / Live feed to PIR

L2 - Switch Live from PIR

Neutrals in a choc block / CPCs in a choc block

Job done.......no warm up for the PIR:D

Yes the pir requires a permanent live. As you re-apply the pir live in your method you will activate the set time . Two gang is the way to do it.

or as above , misread it - oops

Last edited:
I do the one gang method.

Perm live to common looped to PIR perm live.

I then bring the sw live & lamp live back together to L1.

That way, the PIR keeps its perm live regardless of switch position.

Using the above methods, how do you isolate the fitting to change the lamp?
Or the PIR when it starts playing up, as they all seem to do these days.

Last edited:
Yes I wondering how I would get round the warm up period for the PIR. !
I would've got there in the methinks.
Honest guv. !!

Using the above methods, how do you isolate the fitting to change the lamp?
Or the PIR when it starts playing up, as they all seem to do these days.

We were talking about wiring for functional switching between the PIR and manual.

If you required seperate isolation for the PIR controlled lights you could either feed via a SFCU - or use a two gang switch and have the first gang switching the permanent live feed before it enters the other switch.........this would also be convenient as it gives you the option of turning everything off - if you go on holiday or something.

2 gang method grid switch tho main feed to PIR switched through a key sw to prevent some silly person turning it off and the override through standard sw SORTED
as for isolating to replace lamp MCB

Reply to Please Help PIR Nightmare in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock