Discuss Please help, sockets keep tripping after I've used my kettle. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for some help please. I don't have any electrical experience and just wondered if anyone could shed some light on why my circuit breaker keeps tripping the sockets.

This started about 6 months ago when the sockets switch started tripping randomly. I told my landlord and after repeatedly switching it back on, one day it wouldn't. Even after I turned the main switch off, the socket switch wouldn't turn on. I was told it was a faulty switch and it was replaced by one with lower amps but did the job for the time being.

About a week ago, the socket switch tripped again, I knew it wasn't overloaded as there wasn't much plugged in but thought I would switch everything off anyway. Since then, everyday the switch has been tripping around 10 times a day and each time it takes longer to come back on. I have noticed that this happens almost always about 5mins after I have used the kettle. I have tested this theory and tried moving the kettle and the sockets still trip. even after I have turned the kettle switch off and unplugged it? I'm very confused how this can happen but also frustrated as my landlord says the electrician is on holiday and I'm now sat with no electricity, and it's taking around an hr to come back on.

I have also noticed that in the kitchen, the wall is very damp and i think someone said there's a connector or something? in one of those sockets. could this be causing the problem? I'm currently sat, again, with no electricity when I'm supposed to be studying and even when i turn all the power off, the socket switch still won't turn back on.

Any help would be appreciated.

my advice to ring you landlord ,tell him you have a fault .weather his spark is on holiday or not .then he should get a replacement spark in .

I was going to say you need a new kettle but it's not going to trip anything if it's unplugged.

Withhold rent payment until this is sorted, that seems to get landlords attention

Write to the landlord and request he gets it fixed.

If he doesn’t act, then write to him again, stating you will organise a spark and that the costs incurred will be deducted from you payment to him next month ...

Withhold rent payment until this is sorted, that seems to get landlords attention

If you don’t pay, you break the rental agreement ....

If you request this be fixed and the landlord doesn’t act, you can organise the works..... is my understanding

try environmental heath ,he will sit up and take notice.

Sarah, if you can send a picture of your consumer unit and point to which one trips we may be able to help you out now and you can fight with your nemesis when the sun comes up.
Do the lights come on and just sockets out? Is there just one socket circuit - up and down or left and right?

You should not repeatedly reset the circuit breaker when there is clearly a fault.

Your landlord has a legal duty to sort this out if it's a wiring problem (and you didn't have the wiring installed) or a faulty appliance that he has supplied.

Thank you all for your replies. yes I do pay rent on time and will definitely get back in touch first thing.

I've finally managed to get it back on again. Yes I wondered how a kettle that's unplugged could contribute but it happens everytime I've used it. I don't dare make a brew.

I've tried to upload a pic but keeps saying error. Yes it's just the sockets through the whole house that trips, sorry I'm not clued up but after the main switch it says RCD circuits, then 1.cooker 2.sockets 3. downstairs lights then a gap, then RCD circuits, 5.water heater 6.bathroom heater 7. upstairs lights. If that makes any senses

thanks again.

Obviously some testing needed to remedy a fault in the circuit or the MCB itself.
Mcb trips and not the RCD is what you are saying.
Get onto the landlord and demand. You have rights to immediate attention.

Sarah, if you can send a picture of your consumer unit and point to which one trips we may be able to help you out now and you can fight with your nemesis when the sun comes up.
Do the lights come on and just sockets out? Is there just one socket circuit - up and down or left and right?

Up here in the rented sector the council will follow this up . They give the landlord the opportunity to fix the problem within a given period of time . If it is not done the council commission a contractor , get the work done and charge the landlord.
On the downside I am not sure if this only applies to those on housing benefit. It is worth an enquiry though.

Thank you all for your replies. yes I do pay rent on time and will definitely get back in touch first thing.

I've finally managed to get it back on again. Yes I wondered how a kettle that's unplugged could contribute but it happens everytime I've used it. I don't dare make a brew.

I've tried to upload a pic but keeps saying error. Yes it's just the sockets through the whole house that trips, sorry I'm not clued up but after the main switch it says RCD circuits, then 1.cooker 2.sockets 3. downstairs lights then a gap, then RCD circuits, 5.water heater 6.bathroom heater 7. upstairs lights. If that makes any senses

thanks again.
Sarah, some questions if you don't mind:
1)Is it the RCD or MCB that is tripping?
2)Is the kettle in question a cordless type with the circular base?
3)When you boil the kettle, is it ever overfilled?
You mention damp in the kitchen, have you approached the landlord to get the damp issue attended too?
Questio2) the reson for this question is my Mrs had a tendency to overfill our kettle whe she made a cup of Tea, which in Her case was every 10 minutes (joke) but the kettle would often spit water on to the base, and on several occasions this caused the RCD to trip in our house, could be something as simple as that, but if this is not the case, then I agree with the majority.
If you have asked the landlord to attend to the problem, and there has been no action, then get a Sparky in to look at the problem, good luck whatever you decide.

mornin' pete. PF on the stereo, brekky scotch on cornflakes, B& H smoking, life is good.,

thanks again.
Sarah, some questions if you don't mind:
1)Is it the RCD or MCB that is tripping?
2)Is the kettle in question a cordless type with the circular base?
3)When you boil the kettle, is it ever overfilled?
You mention damp in the kitchen, have you approached the landlord to get the damp issue attended too?
Questio2) the reson for this question is my Mrs had a tendency to overfill our kettle whe she made a cup of Tea, which in Her case was every 10 minutes (joke) but the kettle would often spit water on to the base, and on several occasions this caused the RCD to trip in our house, could be something as simple as that, but if this is not the case, then I agree with the majority.
If you have asked the landlord to attend to the problem, and there has been no action, then get a Sparky in to look at the problem, good luck whatever you decide.
mornin' pete. PF on the stereo, brekky scotch on cornflakes, B& H smoking, life is good.,
Mornin to you as well Mate, don't think Scotch on me cornflakes would go down to well after last nights Red binge, bit of a hangover this AM

hair of the dog, mate. get some in.

does the circuit hold when you don't use the kettle at all?
If so, you have adequate power, so your landlord cant see an immediate problem. He will just say its your kettle at fault.

Have you tried the kettle in another socket on a different circuit, possibly one on cooker switch

Reply to Please help, sockets keep tripping after I've used my kettle. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock