Discuss Please help, sockets keep tripping after I've used my kettle. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sounds or reads like only one socket circuit. She’ll be back with an update when the landlords limp lifeless body slips from between her shaking hands!
Seriously I should watch less Disney movies!

Hi everyone, so yes it's the mcb that trips, my other half does have tendancy to overfill the kettle but it isn't cordless and I can't see it splashing. I have tried moving the kettle but no difference. Up until last night, the mcb tripped everytime I'd finished using the kettle, which was usually in the morning, afternoon and just before bed. Last night, I decided to boil water on the hob and just before I went to bed it happened again? This has just baffled me further as there was nothing else switched on, the only change in sockets was that I switched the tv off.

I've been in touch with the landlord again this morning, who seems to think the cause is a damp socket in the kitchen, they have said it will mean digging outside down to the socket and sealing it. Although they said they have already damp proofed the entire kitchen... clearly not.

Personally I think they need to look at getting a job done properly by a professional as everything seems to be done by their friends and family. I will give them another chance to do as they say and then contact the council or a professional myself.

The electricity hasn't been off yet today but I'm about to do the washing so will probably be sending an angry message in half an hr.

thanks again

Hi - do you have electric central heating or hot water?

It could be as simple as a faulty MCB - I had to change one the other day (BG) that was on the bus bar with nothing in the outlet (load side) and just tripped itself. Changed and tested and all ok.
If you had enough fault and fault current to trip an Mcb it would not re energise.
If damp were involved as well it would be taking out the RCD more than likely.

Sarah... I don’t understand the comment about digging down ?

Are you in a basement flat?

Digging holes rather than doing proper fault finding and testing could well be a waste of time and money

As a tenant you have a "right of set off" where if the landlord fails to make timely repairs you may give him notice and three estimates for the work needed doing and proceed with the work and deduct the costs from the rent accordingly. The time scale for this is in the link.
https://www.mydeposits.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Can-my-Tenant-Withhold-Rent.pdf
When you say the kettle is disconnected do you mean completely? I ask as there was a similar problem with a customer and careful inspection revealed a piece of paper (very small, and damp) in the base that holds the kettle in the little ring where it all connects. I just mention this as an outside chance. It appears the lady liked to (obsessively?) wipe the base with kitchen towels and a small bit caught in the connection ring in the centre.

No central heating but my hot water is electric.

The side of the kitchen that has the plug sockets for the kitchen and a sokcket with lots of wires in (sorry I don't know what this is called) is underground. There is a garden next door which is on a higher level and so he seems to think that this is holding the water and getting in to this socket, and causing the mcb tripping. Last night was the first night it hasn't tripped so maybe he is right as the ground is now drying.

The last time this happened they said it was a faulty mcb and replaced it with a different one. I thought this too because when it has tripped, and I turn the RCD off and sometimes the mcb still won't turn on. Even when I've turned all the power off I would have thought the mcb could turn back on. Or maybe a fault is caused by all the switching on and off.

Thank you very much vortigern for the link that's very useful I will be bearing that in mind.

Thanks

Reply to Please help, sockets keep tripping after I've used my kettle. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock