Discuss Please help. Sockets on wooden skirting. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looks ok to me i think the plug on the left might be a moulded plug ok, you could argue that it may get damaged by a vacuum , but i dont think i would give it any code

That is not a moulded plug mate , I have enlarged and lightened it up.
There are plugs that would be tight in there , Chargers could be forced in by kids.
Having said that , that is not the issue the 'surveyor has highlighted.
Can you show us a copy of his 'report.'

To be quite frank if they were serious about buying the house then they can do what rectifications they like after they buy it. If there were serious issues that could be factored into the price. It's almost like someone not liking a house because of the decour or furniture. More fool them. Depends how much you need to sell and how much they want to buy. Tell them to get stuffed and you'll find out how serious they are.

The pattresses looks pretty standard Urea formaldehyde based not plastic (OK it is technically a plastic but not PVC like knockout boxes and the like). Urea formaldehyde is thermosettng and is listed as having a burn rate as "very slow". Therefore I can see no reason for suggesting that mounting such a box on wood could be dangerous.

Be interesting,to see how old this particular surveyor is...i have had several run-ins,of late,with surveyors,engineers,and similar,where reports and recommendations are peppered with issues where their lack of experience,has prompted a "just in case..." attitude.

When pressed,they then resort to requesting your (my) particular operative,to "assess conditions on site" and act accordingly...in this case,it would be a suitably qualified/experienced electrician,who could recommend to do something or nothing.

This then exonerates the surveyors concerns,and passes responsibility to the "last man" ie,the spark.

This latest trend,is causing some consternation,in the fields of foundations,steel-work,etc,where an experienced inspector approves one strong horse...and a less experienced one,thinks it's best to order the cavalry in:)

But there are others who would say it's fine.
They would be wrong, as there is a Regulation expressly dealing with that stating that they must be mounted at sufficient height to prevent damage to the plugs. However, this was not the issue claimed which was that it was a fire hazard as it was mounted to a skirting board so isn't really relevant to the claims made by the survey (which normally preclude comment on the electrical installation!).

My $0.02 for what it's worth is as everyone else says it's not really an issue. I've undertaken I&T in a property twice now where the socket is even lower and I classed it a C3 because it was causing a lot of strain on he plug tops but the owners have not had it rectified. I have sockets In my own house in England that are very similar and they have never caught fire!

Surveyors around here often put in their reports that houses need rewiring if they see an old rewirable fuse board. Their just covering themselves and protecting their Professional Indemnity position/insurance. As has been said ask them to quote which Reg in BS7671 they think is applicable. They have to back up their statement with evidence. Better that they argue it doesn't meet Buildings Regs as being too low - although there's a fine chance that when that socket was possibly installed the minimum 450mm (I think in England?) rule didn't apply?

Hi. I'm a currently selling my home, a Victorian Terrace house from the early 1900's.

The buyers have just had a survey completed which has highlighted a plug socket mounted on wooden skirting as a fire hazard.

We have been living here since 2013 and have had no issues, this was installed before our purchase of the house. I am keen to understand the regs and my options.

It is a double socket mounted on a plastic back box. It is not so close to the floor that the flex from a plug is severely bent.

I would be really grateful for some advice. I believe it's only because this is a '3' on the homebuyers survey. Can someone tell me when the regs came in and if they relate to installations prior.

Thanks all.
Hi, if the socket is on a plastic back box which is mounted on wooden skirting then no issue, if on the other hand the socket directly on wooden skirting then an issue unless you can proof the skirting is to BS!!!!!

Hi. I'm a currently selling my home, a Victorian Terrace house from the early 1900's.

The buyers have just had a survey completed which has highlighted a plug socket mounted on wooden skirting as a fire hazard.

We have been living here since 2013 and have had no issues, this was installed before our purchase of the house. I am keen to understand the regs and my options.

It is a double socket mounted on a plastic back box. It is not so close to the floor that the flex from a plug is severely bent.

I would be really grateful for some advice. I believe it's only because this is a '3' on the homebuyers survey. Can someone tell me when the regs came in and if they relate to installations prior.

Thanks all.
In my opinion is a fire risk if is to close to the carpet .

Hi all.
The important part is that the socket is not fitted on the skirting because you state the socket is on a plastic mount so it's not in contact with the softwood therefore is compliant. Years ago wood was actually used as an insulator and the regulations have been changed to clarify this in Part P. If the socket was mounted to the skirting without a plastic mount BUT the wood is hardwood like oak or mahogany then it could be compliant.
The inspector is wrong and you have grounds to have the report amended.

They would be wrong, as there is a Regulation expressly dealing with that stating that they must be mounted at sufficient height to prevent damage to the plugs. However, this was not the issue claimed which was that it was a fire hazard as it was mounted to a skirting board so isn't really relevant to the claims made by the survey (which normally preclude comment on the electrical installation!).

The regulation you refer to is 553.1.6

A socket outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimise risk of mechanical damage to the socket outlet or to an associated plug and it's flexible cable which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug.

I would say C2

The regulation you refer to is 553.1.6

A socket outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimise risk of mechanical damage to the socket outlet or to an associated plug and it's flexible cable which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug.

I would say C2
maybe agree, but that's nothing to do with the surveyors report that it's a fire risk. he's missed the onlypossible fault and made up another one which does not have any basis in common sense,regulations, or fact.

Reply to Please help. Sockets on wooden skirting. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net