Discuss Please Help with Wiring Diagram !I was wondering if somebody could help me with a wir in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

acestu

Hi fellas,

I was wondering if somebody could help me with a wiring diagram please, it is an existing system that has had underfloor heating added.

The system is:

Oil fired fully pumped system ie

motorised valve on heating
motorised valve on the dhw

Addition:

Underfloor heating manifold with motorised valve
pump

Basically I want to be able to switch the underfloor heating on independently, but the problem is the second pump on the underfloor heating.

Thanks In Advance
Acestu

Re: Please Help with Wiring Diagram !I was wondering if somebody could help me with a

The last time I did this was as described;

The underfloor stat (and timed control if fitted) calls for the floor pump.
A pipe stat on the U/Floor flow calls for the motorised valve when temp drops.
The motorised valve aux switch calls for the boiler, which normally has control of the main pump.

The underfloor flow should have been piped off the boiler flow before the heating motorised valve, then the floor heating can be controlled independently of the main heating.
If it hasn't been, the floor motorised valve will have to call for the main heating.

Last edited:
Re: Please Help with Wiring Diagram !I was wondering if somebody could help me with a

The last time I did this was as described;

The underfloor stat (and timed control if fitted) calls for the floor pump.
A pipe stat on the U/Floor flow calls for the motorised valve when temp drops.
The motorised valve aux switch calls for the boiler, which normally has control of the main pump.

The underfloor flow should have been piped off the boiler flow before the heating motorised valve, then the floor heating can be controlled independently of the main heating.
If it hasn't been, the floor motorised valve will have to call for the main heating.

Hi Snowhead,

Yes it is all piped separately from the other side of the oil fired boiler.

Thanks for the reply but this would not work because as soon as you call for the boiler it switches on both the boiler and the main ch & dhw pump as they are wired together, ( I think that explanation sort of simplifies my problem ).

Cheers anyway

Acestu

Thanks for the reply but this would not work because as soon as you call for the boiler it switches on both the boiler and the main ch & dhw pump as they are wired together, ( I think that explanation sort of simplifies my problem ).

Cheers anyway

Acestu

That's how it needs to be.
The Under floor pump circulates around the floor.
The main pump circulates around the boiler and floor header circuit.
The underflor pump won't (most likely won't) circulate around the boiler

That's how it needs to be.
The Under floor pump circulates around the floor.
The main pump circulates around the boiler and floor header circuit.
The underflor pump won't (most likely won't) circulate around the boiler

Hi Snowhead,

The flow on the boiler goes into a pump and then to a manifold with a 2 port valve for the DHW and a 2 port valve for the Heating, so if the underfloor heating calls the boiler it switches the boiler and the pump of the main system, that means that the pump is pumping against 2 closed motorised valves, I need the Under floor heating to switch on just the boiler of the main system and its own pump.

Thanks Again
Acestu

Hi Snowhead,

so if the underfloor heating calls the boiler it switches the boiler and the pump of the main system, that means that the pump is pumping against 2 closed motorised valves, I need the Under floor heating to switch on just the boiler of the main system and its own pump.

Thanks Again
Acestu

I'll give up after this post.

Is the floor circuit not connected between the pump and the manifold? As there is a manifold it should be on that, without a valve.

It doesn't matter about the closed valves.
The loop to the floor circuit will be open, the floor circuit pump won't pump around the boiler circuit.

Last edited:

I'll give up after this post.

Is the floor circuit not connected between the pump and the manifold? As there is a manifold it should be on that, without a valve.

It doesn't matter about the closed valves.
The loop to the floor circuit will be open, the floor circuit pump won't pump around the boiler circuit.

No, the underfloor equipment is completely on the other side of the boiler ie on the left there is a flow and return that is used for the main system that I installed some years ago.

Then a builder came along and used the right hand side of the boiler, another flow and return to add the under floor heating which has its own pump and motorised valve.

Hope this explains it better.

cheers
Acestu

In light of the additional missing information, you need to move the underfloor flow pipe from the boiler to the existing manifold or between the pump and manifold. The underfloor return can stay in the boiler. Then follow the plan above.

The underfloor system has it's own pump and valve so as to control and reduce the temperature of water flowing around the floor pipework. You don't pump directly around the floor and boiler, the floor temperature will get too high.

In light of the additional missing information, you need to move the underfloor flow pipe from the boiler to the existing manifold or between the pump and manifold. The underfloor return can stay in the boiler. Then follow the plan above.

The underfloor system has it's own pump and valve so as to control and reduce the temperature of water flowing around the floor pipework. You don't pump directly around the floor and boiler, the floor temperature will get too high.

Hi, I realise that I can do what you are saying, but it is a great deal of work because the said builder built a kitchen around all the existing pipework, which is why I am trying this electrically because I can just about get to this. The underfloor unit has a temp controlled bypass on it so that it does not get too hot.

thanks for bearing with me
Acestu

The underfloor unit has a temp controlled bypass on it so that it does not get too hot.

Acestu

That's a relief, I thought you were going to pop up and say it's flow from boiler thro' floor pump, thro floor pipe, back thro return to boiler.

O.K, so Oil fired, cast iron heat exchanger if it's 4 hole, hopefully the boiler doesn't have control of the main pump for run on after burner off.
Your existing controls call for the pump and boiler at the same time?

Where is the floor pump fitted;
In the flow from boiler to floor manifold?
or in/on the manifold?

Any motorised valve between the boiler and manifold?

Mechanical (bulb) thermostat controlling bypass valve strapped to the pipe?

Last edited:

I can't get to that side of the boiler to move any pipework, because it has had a kitchen built around it, but I can get to the electrics which is why I am asking for a diagram to do it electrically.

I think I will just build a logic switching unit myself, as it doesn't seem as if there are any available commercially.

thanks
Acestu

I think I will just build a logic switching unit myself, as it doesn't seem as if there are any available commercially.

thanks
Acestu

You don't need anything complex, at worst a relay some connectors and box to put them in and a (programable ) thermostat to control the floor.

There's allsorts of commercial controllers

You don't need anything complex, at worst a relay some connectors and box to put them in and a (programable ) thermostat to control the floor.

There's allsorts of commercial controllers

Hi Snowhead,

Yes I realise that, that's what I was asking, I just can,t seem to find anything on the internet ie a diagram or relay unit, I suppose I need something like the old smc controller that had 2 separately switched pumps and boiler switch.

cheers
Acestu

OK, I have sussed it, just put this diagram together with a dpdt 230 volt relay, I am posting a link to the diagram just in case anybody else needs it....

Zippyshare.com - solution.jpg

cheers
Acestu

The only problem I can see is the DHW and/or Main heating will take priority over the floor heating.

Hi Snowhead, can you explain a bit more please..

thanks
Acestu

OOPs, missed where the floor pump is connected.
Thought the relay changing over would isolate the floor pump, but that only needs the floor circuit to call to feed the pump, the boiler is already on.

So you think this should be ok then ?

thanks
Acestu

Reply to Please Help with Wiring Diagram !I was wondering if somebody could help me with a wir in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net