Discuss Please settle an argument at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

We went to do a kitchen rewire in old council flat. Rewireable board, instead of putting in new board to provide RCD protection for my work i decided to run 6mm 'clipped direct' from unused 45a fuse in existing board to submain just below the existing board. This submain has RCD and 32a mcb for our 4mm radial for the kitchen. So discrimination is ok (i think?!?!)

By the way- I did IR test on existing board and N-E wasnt satisfactory which is why i didnt put new whole board in.

Seems a nifty way to fulfil regs in old installs seeing as you only take responsibility for the circuit you work on and you wouldnt get the job if customer asked for a few extra sockets and you said they needed a rewire! Yes, i would recommend it as a highly recommended option obviously.

Bloke who works for firm i work for says if you do an upgrade like for e.g new circuit you must put in a whole new board. I am sure i'm right and he's not. But humble enough to admit if i'm not!! What u all think?!

Thanks girls & boys,

Eddie

We went to do a kitchen rewire in old council flat. Rewireable board, instead of putting in new board to provide RCD protection for my work i decided to run 6mm 'clipped direct' from unused 45a fuse in existing board to submain just below the existing board. This submain has RCD and 32a mcb for our 4mm radial for the kitchen. So discrimination is ok (i think?!?!)

By the way- I did IR test on existing board and N-E wasnt satisfactory which is why i didnt put new whole board in.

Seems a nifty way to fulfil regs in old installs seeing as you only take responsibility for the circuit you work on and you wouldnt get the job if customer asked for a few extra sockets and you said they needed a rewire! Yes, i would recommend it as a highly recommended option obviously.

Bloke who works for firm i work for says if you do an upgrade like for e.g new circuit you must put in a whole new board. I am sure i'm right and he's not. But humble enough to admit if i'm not!! What u all think?!

Thanks girls & boys,

Eddie

Complete rubbish. You have to comply with the regs, which it seems you have done. Just because this guy has no ability to think slightly outside the box to comply with regs just means he is a lazy brain.

Why not just put an RCD on the new circuit from the 30A fuse?

From your OP it appears that you would have fitted a new board even if not required (assume customer was willing) but the IR was unsatisfactory.
So because there is a fault, you left it as it was.dit

Edit - I realise that you cannot have 4mm. on 30A fuse but I don't think that was the reason you did not use a ring.

Thanks girls & boys,

Eddie

Did you ask him for the number of the reg he thinks you haven't complied with? :devil2::wink_smile:

you're right. he's wrong. it's only the work that you do that has to comply with current regs. you will need to verify/rectify earthing and bonding.

As tel points out, ensure earthing/bonding is adequate before doing anything. My only concern from what you've said is that N-E wasn't acceptable. Are you just turning a blind eye to that, or have you informed the client?

Thanks girls & boys,

Eddie
tell him tomorrow he`s talking out of his botty hole....
you are responsible for the work you do....if this includes utilising an existing circuit....such as extending/modifying then you would have to verify the existing circuit you plan to extend/modify is still good for continued service...and is capable of handling any extra load etc....

I told her that but of course she didnt bother to try and understand. Her husband had fed a socket from the load side of the unused cooker isolator.... 2.5mm cable on a 45a fuse. Good effort mate

and if he dont like it then point him in this direction....
hmm...fresh meat.....

He's too ignorant to go on a forum. Lovely bloke actually ;) He will also not accept he is wrong but i can argue my case and use forum as evidence if big boss asks. Thanks all. Not the first time, he always insists you have to use 'low voltage' (yes that is EXTRA low voltage for us college nerds) downlights and fans in bathroom zone 1 too. Common misconception.

Sub question, why did lots of older installs (not in bathroom) use selv for lighting. E.g kitchen or lounge lights selv. Was this 15 or 16th edition req? Sorry i am a bit of a youngster!!

Ed

Thanks girls & boys,

Eddie

No argument to settle mate, you are right end of.

Cheers............Howard

Sub question, why did lots of older installs (not in bathroom) use selv for lighting. E.g kitchen or lounge lights selv. Was this 15 or 16th edition req? Sorry i am a bit of a youngster!!

I believe it's as follows:
At one time, if you wanted a halogen lamp, the only ones available were ELV, which is why they're still widely installed.

Reliable 12V and 24V halogen lamps are much easier to make than 230/240V, as the filament is thicker to carry the higher currents required. They have been used on automotive applications since about 1970 (maybe earlier?) and I'm guessing that they were then introduced to building lighting because of their improved efficiency, colour rendering, and smaller physical size compared to ordinary tungsten filament lamps. Only later did the technology develop to manufacture sufficiently reliable LV halogen lamps.

Reply to Please settle an argument at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net