Discuss Plentiful Tea and biscuits in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don’t you just love it, working in someone’s house and being offered all of the tea and biscuits you could ever want.... went to a customer today to do a quote and there was a cup of tea waiting for me with some lovely shortbread type biscuits with the sort of gooey raisin like centre YUM :clapping: so ended up doing the job right there and then and the customer sits down beside me chatting away about the work they are planning to do on the house I reply and don’t get any acknowledgement so I turn round and figure they’ve popped off to the loo or something 5 minutes later here’s another cuppa (the 3rd)and some more of these delicious biscuits. The customer is interested to learn what I’m doing and is asking questions like a keen apprentice,(not many of them,I know!) normally I would be irritated by now and be trying to just get on with the job cause there’s nothing worse than a customer breathing down your neck.... but I was in a good mood and was well fed and watered and didn’t mind so anyways jobs done packed up and tidied up got to talking again and was promised a shout for the upcoming works on the house pretty much a full rewire and the customer can’t thank me enough and even offers a pack of biscuits for me to take !! I didn’t of course cause I want the biccys next time I’m round !!! But it is nice to feel appreciated I’ve noticed more and more these days that customers don’t seem to bother offering a cuppa or in some cases even let you use their toilet but it’s good to know that there is still good customers out there who appreciate you:thumbsup:

some customers want give you the time of the day ,not even a cup of p88 s .I remember a many year ago ,it was dinner time .customer says to me had your dinner. no I sad , customer pulls out her best china
table cloth and all the trimmings .loved it .

some customer want give you the time of the day ,not even a cup of p88 s .I remember a many year ago ,it was dinner time .customer says to me had your dinner. no I sad , customer pulls out her best china
Wouldn’t be the first time I had the same a while back (but without the good China) in an older couples house I was doing work in before they moved in the lady actually went home and cooked and brought me dinner from their old house!!! And gave me the recipe for the delicious curry :D

If you pop over to the plumbers forum you can discuss the pros and cons of disposing of body parts down your drain...
I lived on Bramley Road for a time by Latimer Road Station and used to walk down Silchester Road to get to Ladbroke Grove/Portobello Road which took me past the new estate that was built on the ruins of the tenements where John Christie used to live.

i have realised in this job that quite often the customer gets you out for a small job, then if they like you get you back for the big job they really want doing. its a way of sussing you out before fully agreeing to anything too big..
Yep agree. If you look after the small jobs then the big jobs will look after themselves.

i have realised in this job that quite often the customer gets you out for a small job, then if they like you get you back for the big job they really want doing. its a way of sussing you out before fully agreeing to anything too big..
Or they dangle a carrot and lull you in to a false sense of security and you do far more for them work wise as you think you'll get the bigger job...... and it never happens. Thats what I do all the time and they all fall for it.

Or they dangle a carrot and lull you in to a false sense of security and you do far more for them work wise as you think you'll get the bigger job...... and it never happens. Thats what I do all the time and they all fall for it.
I’m not daft ;) everyone gets the same level of work and attention to detail regardless of future work or potential of it and if it’s something that’s not on the quote/estimate (the old and while you’re here) it’s charged per hour or sure I can give you a price for that after all you wouldn’t go into a shop for milk and while your there get a box of chocolates for nothingo_O

I’m not daft ;) everyone gets the same level of work and attention to detail regardless of future work or potential of it and if it’s something that’s not on the quote/estimate (the old and while you’re here) it’s charged per hour or sure I can give you a price for that after all you wouldn’t go into a shop for milk and while your there get a box of chocolates for nothingo_O
I bet if she was fit you'd be singing a different tune ;o)))))

some customers want give you the time of the day ,not even a cup of p88 s .I remember a many year ago ,it was dinner time .customer says to me had your dinner. no I sad , customer pulls out her best china
I remember a few years back working on a job the customer offered us tea/coffee & biscuits everyday whilst we were there. At the end of the job when I submitted my bill the customer replied with "you haven't deducted the cost of the refreshments from your bill" I thought he was having a laugh and made a joke out of it. He was deadly serious about it and said "I'm not a catering service you were here to do a job not eat and drink me out of tea and biscuits". I ended up knocking £20 off the bill just to keep the peace.

Up here in the days of the mines it was the norm for to have your dinner ( I know , lunch) made for you . Usually sat at the table with the customers. Sadly there are not many left now; those that are are usually the widows . There are not many of the old underground workers left. They were the salt of the earth.

Got offered a coffee in an old Jamjar once, house like a tip, toilet filthy thats where the coffee went as well urgh.

Reply to Plentiful Tea and biscuits in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net