Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Plug in solar

Discussion in 'Solar PV Forum' started by onebigbri, Feb 20, 2018.

Discuss Plug in solar in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. onebigbri

onebigbri New EF Member

So im toying with the idea of getting a plug in solar kit from http://www.pluginsolar.co.uk/

The instructions seem simple enough, its basically wired into a fused socket (which they provide) on an existing circuit.

Couple of questions:

1. If I can put this onto an existing circuit, can that existing circuit say be in the garage (the garage has its own mcb garage consumer unit via an armoured cable to an mcb fuse on the main consumer unit)

2. What happens if the electricity generated going into the garage exceeds its current usage (currently there are a couple of electric devices), will that extra electricity simply flow back into the main consumer unit and be used by the rest of the household?

3. And if the flow electricity can indeed go from a garage consumer unit back into the main consumer unit, rather than say plug in solar, could I simply go for a solar inverter, housed in the garage, with DC /AC isolators, which then feed into a spare fuse on the garage unit, which in turn feeds back into the house?

I had a stupidly high quotations, and because I work from home each day, I thought having a "cheap" plug n play solution could reduce my daytime electrical usage.

Many thanks
    Brian

2. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Don't waste your money.

3. Percyprod

Percyprod Regular EF Member

Sounds pretty dangerous to me. Surely it's the same as connecting a generator via a 13amp plug into a socket? And if you can't se the danger in that then you shouldn't be messing with electricity! When I worked for a dno it was surprising how many people did this in a power cut.

4. whinmoor

whinmoor Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Medoria Solar
  5. onebigbri

onebigbri New EF Member

Thanks, I'll contact him.

And as far as plug in solar is concerned, if having micro inverters going too fused switch on an existing circuit within the house is really dangerous, then surely the many plug in solar and plug in wind power sites shouldnt be selling their goods.

Even though all the documentation states that you notify the DNO about your microgeneration, stating how much kw etc, your still saying that process is really dangerous - in which case the government needs to clamp down on consumer websites that sell these kits, because there are lots of them

All of the information appeared to be legit, with accompanying dno notification forms.

6. Gavin A

Gavin A Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Leeds Solar
    if you know what you're doing then it's not dangerous, if you don't then it could be.

It could result in a circuit being overloaded without tripping the MCB / Fuse that's supposed to protect the circuit if wired in the way they suggest.

7. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

And will the inverter shutdown if there's a mains fail?

8. onebigbri

onebigbri New EF Member

Well if the system was done with Enphase Micro inverters then their documentation state that they have rapid shutdown built in when there is a grid fault.

The diy plug in solar solution seems to use APSystems Y500i micro inverter which all I can see is that it is compliant with G83 issue 2 - it doesnt explicity indicate that it will perform a rapid shutdown in the event of a grid failure.

Think I would have to send a question off to APSystems to clarify