Discuss Plug sockets on a party wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LCV

Hi,

I am planning a house refurb and would like to have a number of new plug sockets on the party wall for the TV, Sky, DVD etc. so about six double sockets plus the socket for TV aerial and BT socket, instead of using a plug extension. My house is a 10 years old terrace house (so I have neighbours on either side) and currently does not have plug sockets on the party wall apart from in the kitchen and utility room.

I was wondering what your thoughts are about how much noise could come through due to the plug sockets being installed on the party wall? Don't do it, okay, or okay but not advised?

Thanks!

Do you mean during the installation procedure, or afterwards?

Chasing the wall will make a noise.
The increased amount of noise that can penetrate should be negligible. If the house is only 10 years old or so the party wall is most likely double skinned.

Unless anyone can come up with a valid reason why you can't install socket outlets etc on a double skinned party wall, i'd be installing
any outlets i wanted in my property wherever i wanted them, including on party walls..

If it's a terraced house, not being able to install sockets (and presumably switches) on either party wall would be reducing options for placement somewhat.

Hi,

I am planning a house refurb and would like to have a number of new plug sockets on the party wall for the TV, Sky, DVD etc. so about six double sockets plus the socket for TV aerial and BT socket, instead of using a plug extension. My house is a 10 years old terrace house (so I have neighbours on either side) and currently does not have plug sockets on the party wall apart from in the kitchen and utility room.

I was wondering what your thoughts are about how much noise could come through due to the plug sockets being installed on the party wall? Don't do it, okay, or okay but not advised?

Thanks!

The only noise will be during the installation of the sockets, it would be a bad job all around if we were to stop installing outlets on party walls, that would limit your choices somewhat, tell your neighbors what you are doing, should not be a problem.

Holy carp!!

It's getting to the point where blokes are frightened to fart in their own houses without permission for fear of offending somebody or other. :frown2:

As someone whose main job is an acoustic consultant, it's difficult to say without more info on the make up of the wall. Cavity masonry? If so, what type of brick or block is it? What wall linings are there? If it's a double stud party wall, I would be less likely to install them there unless you can make plasterboard backings to encase the back boxes...

As someone whose main job is an acoustic consultant, it's difficult to say without more info on the make up of the wall. Cavity masonry? If so, what type of brick or block is it? What wall linings are there? If it's a double stud party wall, I would be less likely to install them there unless you can make plasterboard backings to encase the back boxes...

Pardon?

if your installing a tv on that party wall wont the majority of the noise be projected into your house? if anything isnt that better? Id suggest you take the advice of the forum and THINK!

Geez just crack on. If your worried use acoustic boxes. If your double worried stud wall out, fill with insulation, double board or use sound board.

Reply to Plug sockets on a party wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net