Discuss Plugged in burglar alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jtimbers

Does anyone know if there are any regulations when it comes to plugged in burglar alarms to prevent them being pulled out accidentally. Someone told me in the US they have brackets to avoid it happening but couldn't see anything in the UK.

Thanks all.

follow manufacturers instruction, if it comes with a plug then plug it in, if theres terminals for your own cable then wire into an FCU.

When you fit these diy alarms and your client get broken into....who`s going to pay the bill, As a professional you are liable.

I think most house insurance policies cover break-ins?

I've not fitted hundreds of these wireless alarms but none of the ones I've dealt with have had any issues (touch wood). Maybe the ones you've used are cheaper?

Anyway, I was just interested in the plug situation. If there's no regulation on keeping it secure that's all I needed.

There is a regulation and en standard to installation of security alarm equipment, ...would suggest obtaining a copy of BS EN 50131 which covers the installation on fused spurs to supply alarm systems....would also suggest indemnity insurance to cover your installtions

the yale wireless ones are ****e, you have 20 secs from entry to unplug phone cable then pull it off the wall and take out the AA batteries lol

Exactly!! That's why I thought there might be regs governing them but it looks like there aren't!

It covers fitting the correct fused spur to both wireless and wired covering all graded installations

So not plugged in alarms like I'm asking for.

Are you definately fixed on having the plug...?

you could just snip it off and connect it to a fused spur. It wouldn't hurt anyone or anything, and it'd be alot better for it....

I mean you're not planning on unplugging it and taking it for a drive to your nans for a few weeks, surely!

If i ever installed a plug-in alarm, please shoot me. Diy crap.

Exactly!! That's why I thought there might be regs governing them but it looks like there aren't!

So not plugged in alarms like I'm asking for.

There are regs covering all alarms, and I have given you the the bs en number....All installations must comply to this reg, The installation is graded according to risk assessment of property. There is no such system (apart from Mickey Mouse alarms Ltd) that has a plug in alarm. And therefore does not comply. Fitting such a system may revoke the clients insurance, and make you accountable for the loss.

I'm definitely not fixed on having a plug top as they seem like quite a large product flaw but I was interested if there were any requirements to secure it.

Tazz, you seem to know a lot about alarms. I was also interested in how they affect insurance as you mention. I found this:

Grade 1: Intruders expected to have little knowledge and limited tools. Alarm is suitable for a low risk
Grade 2: Intruders expected to have limited knowledge and some tools. Alarm is suitable for a low to medium risk
Grade 3: Intruders expected to have knowledge and full range of tools. Alarm is suitable for medium to high risk.
Grade 4: Intruders expected to have sophisticated knowledge and tools. Alarm is suitable for a high risk.

But do you have any more specifics or is it down to each individual insurance company how they grade alarms?

Surely fitting a terrible alarm won't compromise any insurance policy unless you lied to the company and told them it was something it wasn't?

I'm definitely not fixed on having a plug top as they seem like quite a large product flaw but I was interested if there were any requirements to secure it.

Tazz, you seem to know a lot about alarms. I was also interested in how they affect insurance as you mention. I found this:

Grade 1: Intruders expected to have little knowledge and limited tools. Alarm is suitable for a low risk
Grade 2: Intruders expected to have limited knowledge and some tools. Alarm is suitable for a low to medium risk
Grade 3: Intruders expected to have knowledge and full range of tools. Alarm is suitable for medium to high risk.
Grade 4: Intruders expected to have sophisticated knowledge and tools. Alarm is suitable for a high risk.

But do you have any more specifics or is it down to each individual insurance company how they grade alarms?

Surely fitting a terrible alarm won't compromise any insurance policy unless you lied to the company and told them it was something it wasn't?

Having an alarm fitted probably wouldn't make any difference to their insurance premium unless it was fitted by someone who is nacoss, ssaib,etc registered.

EDIT: also, obviously they wouldn't install a two-bob alarm either.

Last edited:
Having an alarm fitted probably wouldn't make any difference to their insurance premium unless it was fitted by someone who is nacoss, ssaib,etc registered.

it would have to be a certain type of alarm similar to thachen approved in vechicals

Reply to Plugged in burglar alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net