Discuss plugs and unswitched socket outlets used as isolators! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Table 53.4 shows that plugs and unswitched socket outlets can be used as devices for isolation while carrying load current!. Functional switching can also be carried out in this way as well. Is this really a safe procedure?
Am I interpreting this table incorrectly.

Thanks

Jonel

If it wasn't a safe procedure then 13amp plugs / sockets would be interlocked so you can't unplug until they're switched off.
Just as a lot of larger plug / sockets are.

Any arc drawn from the pins will be contained within the socket.
To my knowledge it's not been a problem in the last 50 years.

Folks perhaps feel safer using a switch to isolate (especially if something odd is going on with the appliance) but pulling the plug definitely does the job.

Thanks all. If it's unplugged it's isolated! I have no problem with that. My question was about when load current was still being drawn. That has been explained, thanks. I do understand, and the regulation did say it, it just bothered me a bit. Pulling out plugs while they are carrying a load somehow did not feel right.
I'm happy that I was interpreting the Table correctly. Also pleased the very prompt response from very knowledgeable electricians.

Thanks again

Using a plug & socket for isolation is within regulations and perfectly safe. You may be confusing emergency switching with isolation, as explained below:

Isolation:
- Without mentioning all points, it specifically mentions that all live conductors must be disconnected (live meaning - carrying current under normal circumstances, such as line & neutral)
- Once isolated, there is no risk of electric-shock.

Emergency-Switching
- Emergency switching, capable of switching full-load current (often marked red, such as the CU main switch).
- It's good practice to unload a CU before turning-off the main switch, but not actually necessary.

Reply to plugs and unswitched socket outlets used as isolators! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net