Discuss Plumbers are great!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Today I was in a customers house. I had to take up some chipboard flooring in the bathroom. I set the circular saw so that it will cut to the right depth and not too deep.... I think some of you have already guessed where this is going :D .... and start cutting.

Now in the five years I have been working as a domestic installer I have never had an accident because I plan, I'm slow because I plan, but that's ok because I don't have accidents.... until today.

Anyway, I start cutting and suddenly water starts spurting up into my face, it's a hot day but I fail to enjoy the cool water covering my head. I panic, there's no way to get to the pipe as the boards are down. I nearly always work alone, but for some reason this time a plumber was working in the house at the same time. He was actually in the bathroom with me at the time! He sprung into action, fitted some pipe to a downstairs radiator to drain it, during which time I'd got the boards up (looking horrified at the lake of water) and stuck my thumb on the tiny hole.

I absolutely sxxx myself!!!

The outcome was a small amount of water coming through the ceiling which dried and that was about it. The client was cool about it and the plumber fixed the pipe refusing any kind of payment. If he hadn't have been there I could have been in a whole heap of trouble and my PL insurance would have had its first outing!

So.... I'm ready for abuse but I stand by my claim, plumbers are great! :D

The only one I've been through was a main, stopcock was jammed solid. Got some grips on it and snapped the ******* off. By now the ceiling was starting to bulge so I cut a hole to let the water out flooding the kitchen floor. On my own and pre mobile days I was at a loss what to do. Came very close to just getting in the van and driving away. In the end I found a hose pipe in the garage....cut the main just above the stopcock, jammed the hose over the end of the pipe and let it run outside. Whole of the ground floor was flooded by then.
Worst afternoon of my life.
On the plus side I learnt never use a jigsaw to take up a board.

Sounds like a good fella. We've all made muck ups so we all know when someone needs pulling out of the mire. Glad it went well for you.
I drilled a pipe last year and ended up losing all the money on the (small) job and ended up about £175 out of pocket.

I had a similar occurrence a few years ago. Chipboard floor, unmarked central heating pipe, circular saw followed by water spout. Don't like to talk about.:oops::oops::oops:

Luckily for me, the plumber was my son, who was around in a shot, but not before some damage had been done to the ceiling and furnishings below. Customer, who was understandably ****ed off, become a right pain during the resulting insurance claim.

In my defence, the original plumber had bashed the 15mm pipe flat, so he could fit between the bottom of the chipboard and the top of the RSJ, instead of running in through the whole cut hole in the RSJ. Well that's my poor excuses.

Since this sorry episode, I've purchased a inspection camera and some of Kibosh Emergency Pipe Repair Clamp 15mm - https://www.lbsbmonline.co.uk/kibosh-emergency-pipe-repair-clamp-15mm?gclid=CjwKCAjwzMbLBRBzEiwAfFz4gVHgztzB6bOXjrlWf4XcXfNOYRTLVCvokWbxeWQeqxv8hdQeF5q4RBoCFekQAvD_BwE which I used the other month, when the carpenter hit a pipe :p.

Its all come flooding back now :). I hate chipboard flooring, bring back tongue & grove.

Today I was in a customers house. I had to take up some chipboard flooring in the bathroom. I set the circular saw so that it will cut to the right depth and not too deep.... I think some of you have already guessed where this is going :D .... and start cutting.

Now in the five years I have been working as a domestic installer I have never had an accident because I plan, I'm slow because I plan, but that's ok because I don't have accidents.... until today.

Anyway, I start cutting and suddenly water starts spurting up into my face, it's a hot day but I fail to enjoy the cool water covering my head. I panic, there's no way to get to the pipe as the boards are down. I nearly always work alone, but for some reason this time a plumber was working in the house at the same time. He was actually in the bathroom with me at the time! He sprung into action, fitted some pipe to a downstairs radiator to drain it, during which time I'd got the boards up (looking horrified at the lake of water) and stuck my thumb on the tiny hole.

I absolutely sxxx myself!!!

The outcome was a small amount of water coming through the ceiling which dried and that was about it. The client was cool about it and the plumber fixed the pipe refusing any kind of payment. If he hadn't have been there I could have been in a whole heap of trouble and my PL insurance would have had its first outing!

So.... I'm ready for abuse but I stand by my claim, plumbers are great! :D
You were very lucky on this occasion! It is very daunting when you are faced with this problem, I think most of us have been there at one time or another. I know how scary and embarrassing it can be.

Knowing where the water and gas stop cocks are is essential when working on properties. (obviously you should find this out whilst checking the Main earth bonding's)

It could be an idea to get some basic plumbing training? Basic understanding of heating and plumbing systems can be advantageous in these situations. Also if you can learn to do basic pipe work you would be able to fix most leaks yourself. Not only giving you confidence but also possibly saving you big costs.

I had a similar occurrence a few years ago. Chipboard floor, unmarked central heating pipe, circular saw followed by water spout. Don't like to talk about.:oops::oops::oops:

Luckily for me, the plumber was my son, who was around in a shot, but not before some damage had been done to the ceiling and furnishings below. Customer, who was understandably ****ed off, become a right pain during the resulting insurance claim.

In my defence, the original plumber had bashed the 15mm pipe flat, so he could fit between the bottom of the chipboard and the top of the RSJ, instead of running in through the whole cut hole in the RSJ. Well that's my poor excuses.

Since this sorry episode, I've purchased a inspection camera and some of Kibosh Emergency Pipe Repair Clamp 15mm - https://www.lbsbmonline.co.uk/kibosh-emergency-pipe-repair-clamp-15mm?gclid=CjwKCAjwzMbLBRBzEiwAfFz4gVHgztzB6bOXjrlWf4XcXfNOYRTLVCvokWbxeWQeqxv8hdQeF5q4RBoCFekQAvD_BwE which I used the other month, when the carpenter hit a pipe :p.

Its all come flooding back now :). I hate chipboard flooring, bring back tongue & grove.
like them kibosh. good idea to have a couple on the van..

Yep I felt very smug when the chippy cut the pipe, water peeing everywhere. I just calmly got me Kibosh out me van, and saved the situation :cool:

PS; you need some big muscles to close em.
i'd better get on the weights then. muscles are showing signs of 70 years of disuse. :(

Reply to Plumbers are great!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net