Discuss Plumbers are great!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

as it was a pipe on the heating circuit so all the water would have still drained out of all the radiators through my little hole! :)

If it's a sealed heating system there will be a safety pressure relief valve on the system, these can be manually operated to rapidly discharge the pressure from the system to outside. Once the pressure has gone from the pipework water should stop coming out of the hole (assuming there is only one hole) as way for air to get in to the system to replace the water which flows out.

If it's not a sealed system then you would need to block the feed and vent pipes at the header tank to stop air from entering the pipework and again it will stop the leak.

View attachment 37436

In the corner, top of the stairs, gas pipe (I later marked the existence of), luckily I was rather gentle drilling through :eek:
gas pipes aren't so bad. no water spurting everywhere, and it's generally no problem to cut the gas off at the meter, then an easy repair. to be sure though, i'd have a gas safe guy do a pressure test.

I was clipping a bit of T&E along a wall below a desk in a room which had previously been a bathroom, one of the clips popped out of the wall and was followed by a jet of water!
It turned out that there was an unused old lead water main in the wall which had just had the open end flattened and plastered in.

gas pipes aren't so bad. no water spurting everywhere, and it's generally no problem to cut the gas off at the meter, then an easy repair. to be sure though, i'd have a gas safe guy do a pressure test.

You naughty boy, no one 'cept a gas safe should be messing around with gas pipes :rolleyes:

You naughty boy, no one 'cept a gas safe should be messing around with gas pipes :rolleyes:

Tel has amnesty. Gas safe is not retrospective and in 1897 anyone was allowed to do it... hence Tel is qualified! :D

HHD, put a disclaimer on your paperwork. Something along the lines of care will be taken etc but occasionally problems do arise which are hitherto unknown, and these are, or may be, chargeable.
If the plumber wasn't there at the time I probably still wouldn't have bothered with my insurance. After the pipe was fixed it is easy enough to replace a bit of the ceiling below and get a plasterer in to skim. Obviously it depends on the extent of the damage etc.

My biggest gaff was hole sawing a couple of millimetres in to the main incoming gas supply. That could have worked out bad!! I also had a plumber on site at the time who sorted it. Still don't like them though!!

HHD, put a disclaimer on your paperwork. Something along the lines of care will be taken etc but occasionally problems do arise which are hitherto unknown, and these are, or may be, chargeable.
If the plumber wasn't there at the time I probably still wouldn't have bothered with my insurance. After the pipe was fixed it is easy enough to replace a bit of the ceiling below and get a plasterer in to skim. Obviously it depends on the extent of the damage etc.
QUOTE]

That wasn't my experience, with the repair of the damage. In my case, the escaping water was from the central heating system, and therefore oxidised or whatever.

The ceiling was damaged in various places, and some marks on the floor. I had considered repairs myself, but decided to use my insurance company. I'm glad I did.

My client made a claim for whole ceiling replacement, complete redecoration of the room, replacement of three piece suite (as they couldn't obtain similar), replacement of carpet. They also wanted compensation, for inconvenience etc.

Arrival of loss adjuster. Agreement was made on ceiling being repaired and redecorated. Armchair & carpet professionally cleaned. I finished off my work FOC, and replaced the CH 3 port valve FOC, which went faulty two weeks later and my client insisted was as a result of the draining down of the system.

I'm probably paying higher PL fees to date, but I think I would of had a higher repair bill, if I hadn't involved the insurance company. It depends on who your dealing with, as the customer is always right :mad:

Ouch! On your occasion insurance for was the correct way. Out of interest Mid what was the excess, and what does your PLI cost now? It would be good to know for future reference what the impact of making a claim is.

Ouch! On your occasion insurance for was the correct way. Out of interest Mid what was the excess, and what does your PLI cost now? It would be good to know for future reference what the impact of making a claim is.

Think the excess was £100, and from what I've seen others getting their PL for, guess I'm paying £100 a year more. The claim is notifiable for 5 years, so I'll saved in the long run.

My PLI is around £80 I think, bit hard to tell as the policy also cover indemnity and tools cover.
So after five years you have probably paid around £600 more? Good to know for future reference. Cheers.

Sorry my post got wrapped up with NDG post, so here it is again for clarity.

That wasn't my experience, with the repair of the damage. In my case, the escaping water was from the central heating system, and therefore oxidised or whatever.

The ceiling was damaged in various places, and some marks on the floor. I had considered repairs myself, but decided to use my insurance company. I'm glad I did.

My client made a claim for whole ceiling replacement, complete redecoration of the room, replacement of three piece suite (as they couldn't obtain similar), replacement of carpet. They also wanted compensation, for inconvenience etc.

Arrival of loss adjuster. Agreement was made on ceiling being repaired and redecorated. Armchair & carpet professionally cleaned. I finished off my work FOC, and replaced the CH 3 port valve FOC, which went faulty two weeks later and my client insisted was as a result of the draining down of the system.

I'm probably paying higher PL fees to date, but I think I would of had a higher repair bill, if I hadn't involved the insurance company. It depends on who your dealing with, as the customer is always right :mad:

Plumbers are great!!! ima - EletriciansForums.net
Found this right in the middle of a lounge wall in a builders built house of fun! Doing an accessory to accessory RFC extension and had to negotiate the dot and dabs, if it hadn't have snapped my pilot on the hole saw I wouldn't have thought something was amiss and would just have carried on. Strong material I'm glad to say - no harm done thank the Lord.
Rude though - had to change my route!

Damn that reminds me as I need to restore my Fathers 18" Record monkey wrench must be over 50 years old now.
I have many of my dads tools used everyday that are 50 or 60 years old - engineering style tools that never wear, King Dick, Diamond, Bluepoint and now being on commercial I get to use my Snap on stuff from the late 80s.

Good idea - even if having them means you'll never need them :)
That's called insurance, when you got it you don't get things go wrong but when they do, you are covered by a higher power - much like my Faith!

had a similar customer years ago. insisted on replacement carpets throughout groung floor ( could not match pattern) although the water damage was easily rectified by cleaning. he insisted that the carpet was beyond repair as the water had inhibitor in it. the only thing beyond repair was all round all the corners where his cat had clawed it to bits.

Reply to Plumbers are great!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock