Discuss PME head , builder forgot earth cable , 100amp 3phase supply , 10 bedroom house , 10 bedroom house in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

just rang the NICEIC help desk as needed to go definitive (lol) apparently the 35mm 4 core swa steel is 84mm which works out more than the minimum of 10mm earth that is required for bonding conductors
so looks like mr KEV 1 N is correct ......... Hail sir Kev 1 N
That is incorrect, 50.0 four core is the minimum size which will support 10.0 bonding.

just rang the NICEIC help desk as needed to go definitive (lol) apparently the 35mm 4 core swa steel is 84mm which works out more than the minimum of 10mm earth that is required for bonding conductors
so looks like mr KEV 1 N is correct ......... Hail sir Kev 1 N
Not that I'd ever say that Help Desk was anything other than 100% correct, but the current GN8 lists it as 78mm (p169). Anyway, it's very close :)

everything is possible , unless its not lol , I'm going to check when back on site next week to begin 2nd fix , but fairly happy with the 84mm route , however interested in the loop test result at the db so going to make it the 1st install

A lot of great answers here. It might be a good idea to speak to the DNO and explain the situation. While the true answer seems obvious, it's still worth talking to the DNO even if it's just to update their records.

Well if it's in the regs, then it's in black and white....just seems maddnes having a good earth at the DNO cutout, then at the DB end ditching it and then put in earth rod. Again , the University has several of its own substations with massive section boards that feed other large buildings (so technically the substation is the DNO supply) so then there'll be say 3 or 4 300mm2 SWA cables go out to feed other buildings, no separate cpc, then when they enter the building, an earth conductor is took off the armour to an earth bar and then from that you'll have a main protective conductor to the buildings section board, and protective earthing conductors to other services.

That doesn’t sound like a PME supply, so the requirements for bonding conductors in that situation are likely to be different.

Looking at the size of the job, get it dug up and done properly.
Builder's fault...he carries the can.
See the original post "as I directed" if the OP has instructed the builder what to install, I can't in all honesty see how it would be the buider's fault, the OP told the builder what to do, so down to the OP imo.

See the original post "as I directed" if the OP has instructed the builder what to install, I can't in all honesty see how it would be the buider's fault, the OP told the builder what to do, so down to the OP imo.
''the builders installed a 35mm 4core swa as i directed however they forgot about a 16mm earth''.
Are we getting the full facts, Pete?

''the builders installed a 35mm 4core swa as i directed however they forgot about a 16mm earth''.
Are we getting the full facts, Pete?
True, good point, did matey mention the 16mm2 earth? only he can tell so come on OP spill the beans, did you or didn't you instruct the builder to install the earth wire?

yep, however they supplied the cable , my input was instruction only, so as long as it is correct to the regs I'm now happy
Agree, but what were your instructions exactly? did you tell them to run the SWA and an earth cable?

Reply to PME head , builder forgot earth cable , 100amp 3phase supply , 10 bedroom house , 10 bedroom house in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net