Discuss PME lost neutral and over voltages. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Howdy folks.

I have been reading a thread on another forum about PME and lost neutrals and one of the comments was this:

You may wish to give PME the boot but that will not save you from a fire due to over voltage caused by the loss of the supply neutral.

Also:

Going over to TT will not protect you from over voltage caused by the loss of the supply neutral. It could be the fires in these properties are due to over voltage causing damage to appliances setting them on fire.

IET Forums - "give PME the boot"

I can not see how losing a supply neutral would result in an over voltage.

Has any one got any ideas?

Thanks.

Indeed.

I wonder if anyone has a handy link or can recommend any reading material to help explain his answer.

My understanding of supply networks is very limited.

Thanks.

Two things occured to me about this incident, firstly is it sensible to have main bonding connected to gas pipes? It sounds like the explosions were gas caused by excess current flowing down the bonding , causing the gas pipes to fail.

Secondly, if an instalation is designed around 230 volts, then all the calculations go out of the window for protective devices etc if the voltage is increased, surely a dangerous situation?

regards, Steve.

Reply to PME lost neutral and over voltages. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello All and happy new year. Over the holiay I have changed all of my old sockets to some nice new ones and added a couple with usb sockets for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a EV charger that is reporting over voltage and is unable to charge. the charger will operate up to 253V The solar inverter reports...
Replies
Views
Over the last few days, I have stumbled across a number of threads that seem to point to a prevalent misunderstanding. Either that, or I have been...
Replies
Views
I may have posted this before but not sure if it made it in. I want to install an EV Charger in my garage. The panel is two stories up and the...
Replies
Views
I'm taking a look at the 120v wiring in an old travel trailer that I recently bought, and plan to live in full time soon. It has some quirks that...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock