Discuss PME system with earth rod aswell in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been on a job today and debating what to put on the certificate.

The DNO in early 2013 upgraded the supply and installed PME. The previous setup had an earth rod installed. This is still connected to the main earth terminal. Not sure what type the previous set up was as the customer is none the wiser, As the upgrade was done just before she bought the house.all she cared about was that things come on and turn off when required.

I am only filling in a minor works certificate as it only involved extending a radial.

In terms of earthing arrangement would you all agree i have been okay to record it as PME with a supplementary TT rod. making a note in the comments box mentioning there is a rod aswell? Guess it will be 18th edition compliant before its time!

I have so far filled it in as a PME system and am wondering if in addition to recording the Ze of 0.29 ohms i should record Ra aswell? I haven't measured it as of yet as i went with its a PME with supplementary rod.

I have to go back Monday next week to change a light fitting, so can measure Ra if needed.

It does raise the prospect of whether the certificate forms will be updated to reflect 18th edition if supplementary rods are going to be needed.

Thoughts welcome as it is something I haven't dealt with or potentially noticed before as most of my experience is light commercial such as pubs.

If it's been changed to pme then why bother with the earth rod?
By definition from the DNO having Carried out works it's a TN-CS earthing arrangement

i'd just do as you suggest. record Ze and PME earthing , with a note saying there is a supplementary rod.

I imagine the younger people reading would see @Pete999s' comment "Diss the rod" as
That is a crap rod and looks bad innit, nowadays:cool:
i know me and pete are both old coffin dodgers, but surely you can tell us apart. i'm the good looking one. :p:p:p

It's TN-C-S. The fact it also has an Earth rod is irrelevant (in fact, it is a very good thing). No need to worry about Ra of the rod.

Most of the rest of the world requires Earth electrodes on TN-C-S installations - it's about time JPEL/64 caught up.

Look in the front of BS7671 you will see the listings for the brains trust.
Ah okay, didnt get that on the find the correct answer test/ wordsearch for grown ups that is the 17th ed.

It sounds like the same method american psychiatrists use when they update the DSM book of mental disorders. basically a shrink proposes a new condition based on what he has seen in patients or hospital. if enough other shrinks agree and put there hands up it ends up the big book and people can be labelled as having the said new condition. absolutely bonkers... and that's just the shrinks.

Basically they put a list of new regulations into a hat, give it a shuffle and each member picks out a regulation and they have a good chuckle over it!
Let the b*stards (that's us)figure this one out mhaaaaahhhaaa
Careful now some forum members maybe offended by that :tired:

Reply to PME system with earth rod aswell in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net