Discuss `pond flex` or `arctic` cable for flex connection to outside halogen lights ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

Please don`t think that this is `too trivial` a question for the Forum:

I have noticed that My Garden / Outside Halogen Lights [500 W] were originally wired with what looks to Me like `ordinary` 1mm Flex.

It looks like the Insulation has been badly degraded by the Weather / UV Light.

I want to rewire these - just about the last 800mm to the Lights - luckily there are Single Gang Surface Boxes with Flex Outlet Plates on the Gable End Wall in the Loft and I would rewire the Lights back to the connections housed in those - the Switches are downstairs - these 3 Halogen Lights / the Lights Circuit has its own circuit breaker on the Consumer Unit.

Here is My question regarding which Flex type cable I can use:

I obviously want to use a `Weather / UV Resistant` Flex / Cable.

IF `Arctic` Cable [3183Y]
is both UV / Weather and Cold Temperature resistant this would be ideal for Me as I can purchase Cut lengths of 1.5mm 3 Core for about £1.10 per Metre - I would only need 3 Metres - approx 800mm for each Light including some `slack`.

Before seeing the Arctic Cable I saw `Weather Resistant Rubber Pond Flex` [3183P] - 0.75mm 3 Core - this is described as being `suitable for external lighting - exposed to the Sun`s rays` - BUT this is only available on a 25 Metre Drum at a cost of £15.34.

As the `Pond Flex` would only be any good to Me if I have to rewire the last 800mm to these Outside Halogen Lights AGAIN I don`t really want to buy a 25 Metre Drum of it - unless the `Arctic` cable is NOT suitable - ?

As I mentioned - Please don`t view this as too trivial - the Information that I will receive on here will be helpful and possibly save Me about£12.00 [?].

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

Last edited:
I usually use pond cable for outside lights but I think arctic cable would be as good if not better.Check what the spec is.

"Hello sparkdog",

Apart from what I wrote the only other `identifying` detail is: 3183Y [1.5mm 3 Core / 15 Amp]

Is that a BS Number ?

I have noticed that the Pond Flex is noted to be 3183P

Thanks for your help - Arctic cable would definitely be much cheaper at approx. £3.30 inc. - instead of £15.34 inc. for a 25 Metre Drum.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Cable with a black sheathing is normally recommended for use where exposed to UV. Arctic is fine too. That said, I've seen grey sheathed T&E that's absolutely fine, used outside for decades.

measure up for your arctic flex and then add 20%. better to waste a couple of yards than to find you;re 2 foot short. ( or we would be calling you oscar . :icon10: )

Won't bother in future... ;)

"Hello Guitarist",

I was writing this reply to You immediately after I wrote to johnuk - when I tried to Submit it I received the Message that I needed to `Refresh the webpage and Log In again` - words to that effect - I did this BUT the `Auto saved content` just consisted of "Hello Guitarist" !

I had LOST the entire message to You - and as I Type using only ONE Finger it has taken a while to Compose and Retype this to You.

Sorry that You felt I had ignored your message to Me - I assure You that I had not.

Thanks for your reply and for the information about the Grey sheathed T&E - I might have some of that somewhere but it would take too much searching to find it - I will just buy 3 or 4 Metres of the Arctic Cable.

I wanted to ask about this to ensure that I use the correct Cable.

Although I have stated that I do not carry out Electrical Work this is a very simple task at My own Home where will just be renewing the Cables from 3 Halogen Outside Lights [500W] approximately 800mm to inside the Roof Space where they connect to small Junction Boxes which are `Housed` within Plastic Surface Boxes with Cable Outlet Plates.

The Electrician who wired up these Outside Lights [22 Years ago] was a good Friend of mine who knew that I am VERY particular regarding `Workmanship` of both My own Work or anyone who does work for Me - so I think that He went `Above and Beyond` what would be seem as `Normal` regarding these `Housed Junction Box` connections.

Although without wanting to defame Him in any way this did not seem to apply to the Flex that was used externally - perhaps Arctic or `Pond Flex` was not generally available then and an Alternative / UV Protected Cable would have been prohibitively expensive [?].

BUT from what You mentioned about the Grey sheathed T&E - that would have been readily available / used every Day - ?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
As The Guitar man says, nothing wrong with 1.00mm black 3 core flex. Easiest to work with and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

BUT from what You mentioned about the Grey sheathed T&E - that would have been readily available / used every Day - ?

standard T/E is/has been used a lot outsideover time and generally will last for years, but will eventually degrade due to uv. quicker on a sunny side of the house. arctic flex or black flex is the way to go. apart from looking a lot neater ( e.g. black cable with round black clips, the satellite clips are ideal for 1.0mm or 1.5mm flex). i always use bog standard black flex. the lights are only 2A if 500watt halogens , so 0.75 mm is well adequate. one disadvantage of using flat T/E is the glands on the lights are designed for round flex.

measure up for your arctic flex and then add 20%. better to waste a couple of yards than to find you;re 2 foot short. ( or we would be calling you oscar . :icon10: )

"Hello telectrix",

Thanks for your reply.

I need about 800mm of `Flex` / Arctic Cable for each Outside Light - including allowing for stripping back and terminating the ends at the Lights and the Junction Boxes and allowing for a `Drip Loop` [excuse the terminology] externally and a little Slack internally.

The Junction Boxes are basically exactly behind the Outside Light positions in the Roof Space - so the Flex / Arctic Cable comes out of the Cable Outlet Plate - drops down abour 150mm - through the Wall - drops into a Loop and then goes up into the Cable Entry into the Light `Gland`.

I will get 6 Metres of the Arctic Cable - so as to have some spare in case the Light Cables ever get damaged [by perhaps Ladders] - so I will definitely have enough to rewire the Lights.

By the way the Arctic cable that I can buy in Cut lengths is either Bright Yellow or Blue in colour - obviously I will get the Blue [similar colour to this Blue Text] - luckily I will not need Clips.

EDIT:

Thanks for the further details in your last message.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Had to refresh again, Chris ?

"Hello ipf",

I am not sure what You meant by your question above - but actually I have been eating Dinner.

Thank You for this message:

`As The Guitar man says, nothing wrong with 1.00mm black 3 core flex. Easiest to work with and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb`.

Regards,

Chris

"Hello ipf",

I am not sure what You meant by your question above - but actually I have been eating Dinner.

Thank You for this message:

`As The Guitar man says, nothing wrong with 1.00mm black 3 core flex. Easiest to work with and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb`.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris, just joking after guitarist. lol. ATB.

Hi Chris, what I said was tongue-in-cheek. I wasn't upset, really.
If you only need a few feet, then pop into any electrical shop/DIY store and get yourself some 1.0mm black flex if the lighting is on a 6A MCB or 5A fuse. Arctic generally comes in blue (230v) and yellow (110v) which is not an indication of voltage rating but just a colour coding for identifying equipment on site.
As already said, T&E will degrade over time (quite a long time normally) and the oval shape isn't great for glanding if it's exposed.

If you only need a few feet, then pop into any electrical shop/DIY store and get yourself some 1.0mm black flex if the lighting is on a 6A MCB or 5A fuse. Arctic generally comes in blue (230v) and yellow (110v) which is not an indication of voltage rating but just a colour coding for identifying equipment on site.
As already said, T&E will degrade over time (quite a long time normally) and the oval shape isn't great for glanding if it's exposed.

Should have been 'with' not 'after', sorry G.

"Hello again Guitarist",

Thanks for replying again.

What I wrote was exactly what happened - I wrote the brief reply to johnuk and then immediately started writing My reply to You - then I could not Submit it - Lost it - and had to Retype the message - as I only Type with ONE Finger this all took plenty of time.

I can completely understand why it would look as if I was NOT Grateful for Your message to Me when a reply to You did not materialise soon after My response to johnuk - and it was exactly because of this that I wanted to add an explanation to My message.

This Losing messages has happened a few times to Me on here previously - I will have to revert to carrying out `Copy & Paste` of My messages BEFORE I Submit the Posts - so that I do NOT Lose them.

Thanks for confirming that I could use `Ordinary` Black Flex - but as I would have to go to the same Electrical Goods Supplier to get Cut Length of that I might as well get the Blue 1.5mm [1mm not available] 3 Core Arctic cable.

I had originally thought that IF I had stated that I was going to use `Ordinary / Standard Flex` I would be `Verbally Chastised` on here - with some statements such as: `You MUST use UV Resistant Cable` !

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to `pond flex` or `arctic` cable for flex connection to outside halogen lights ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net