Discuss pond pump wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've been to quote on a job today where the customer had dug a pond / water feature in to the garden. their is no raised edge around the pond, it will go grass, edging bricks, water all at about the same level. it's a very minimalist look he is going for. the edge of the feature is about 2M from a fence. getting down to level with the pond via the fence with swa is straight forward enough. pond pump is submerged with pre fitted cable. how do I get from wiska box on fence to pump? is burying some plastic conduit 600mm deep the only option? and does plastic conduit offer the required protection for buried cables?
cheers, adie

sounds like a plan. don't forget the warning tape above the conduit. you could also use copex.

This might be a little overboard for what the gentleman wants, but I installed one of these recently and instead of hard wiring the pump, I put in an outdoor outlet, mounting/strapping the conduit onto a tree stump next to it so it still looked like a natural piece in the garden. I know it has a wire coming out of it, I just used that to put a chord with a plug on it, like you would a washing machine or dishwasher.
The reasoning for the additional nonsense was because those pumps can be cheap and don't always last long so if it's hardwired, the owner will have to undo everything when they go to replace the pond pump. Also, the wife of the guy likes to hang lights and decorations for her garden parties so the outlet gives her more options for plugging stuff in.
Sorry if this was more confusing than helpful, I avoided specifics on measurement and current or voltage ratings because it's all different here.

My pond pump just goes in behind the reeds and drops into the water, the wire that is. It is black and that's how it's designed to go. Plugs into to an outside waterproof socket mounted close by, cable hidden between side of pond and fence, no way it could get hit or anything.

Have you considered metal copex to provide mechanical protection to the flex between connection box and pond edge. I don't think plastic pipe alone will suffice. The copex will terminate neatly into your connection box. Be careful to use a cable gland as the flex leaves the copex to enter pond.

Reply to pond pump wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock