Discuss Pool control panel wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

maffew

Hi all,

This is my first post here so I'd just like to start off by saying: I know very little about electrics, electrical installations and electrical standards.
I'm a software developer and I've been tasked with creating an interactive, 3D environment for a technical college that a user can navigate and complete various different scenarios.
I've been given a lump of information but I'm basically researching all of the elements and procedures myself and I'm a bit overwhelmed.
One of the scenarios is to do with a faulty pool light. The user has to find the pool control panel and run various tests to determine if it's a faulty light or a faulty transformer.
I have been given the image below and have to recreate this as a 3D model (sort of like a computer game!)

image-bdc5e17533e3323d9648f4022b20764bc9358edeb135eb92ee23f9d2ef444856-V.jpg

If you guys could help me with a few things that would be a HUGE help!

• With the 17th edition standards, would these circuit breakers all be RCBO's?
  • What are the 2 circuit breakers with clear plastic fronts called?
  • Where on the image would the user place the tester probes?
  • What readings would the tester return for:
    • a faulty light
    • a faulty transformer
    • a fully working panel

I'm know this is asking a lot so any input you have would be so much help.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi Matt ... you really need to liaise directly as a joint effort with a Electrician/Engineer who is seasoned in the regulations for swimming pools as well as the regulations of control systems.

You have been handed a a picture of a panel that doesn't meet regulations governing control equipment so a poor starting block IMHO ... I could direct you to software that is free that lets you build a 3d control panel to suit but your limited knowledge would be a dead end, its almost impossible to convey this over a forum and tbh I think they are shortsighted to hand you this task without sending a well knowledged Electrical expert to work with you on the project.

I could give you detailed responses for your queries but truth be told you wouldn't understand it as you have little to no electrical knowledge.

My recommendation to discuss this with your client and if they cannot supply you the help you need then turn it down or source your own help and make the client aware he will be invoiced for a professional to help you.

Fully agree with DW, there is more to this than meets the eye. Given the number of possible faults and their symptoms beyond the light itself being off, you need some experience to pare down the testing steps into something practical to create in the virtual environment, without missing out so much it becomes factually incorrect. In reality I would start with dead tests as these are safer than live tests, although which test to begin with would depend on evidence such as tripped breakers or smell of burnt varnish, and in the process identify which transformer and breakers were associated with the unlit light. If the dead tests were inconclusive I'd move on to a sequence of live tests.

E.g.
No breakers tripped: Trip both secondaries, measure load resistances, if one O/C then faulty light or wiring. If both circuits complete, trip both primaries and measure transformer winding resistances, if one O/C then faulty transformer.
One secondary breaker tripped: Trace to load cable, measure load resistance, calculate whether too low based on transformer rating, if so faulty light or wiring.
One primary breaker tripped: trip the other, check primary resistances of transformers, if one S/C or too low confirm it is the one fed by the tripped breaker, if so faulty transformer. Repeat for load resistances...

BTW it's a no to all RCBOs & the devices with plastic covers are probably timeswitches.

What non compliances do you see squire?

Identification of conductors?,

Colour coding of conductors
Identification of conductors
I would question on forced ventilation also with the 2 large TX's

My point was he has been given a picture to guide him for creating a diagnosis based program for students to learn about fault finding, you would expect the example to be showing a compliant up to date panel in all aspects of regulations and not one that falls short on them even if the breaches are just cosmetic issues.

Colour coding of conductors
Identification of conductors
I would question on forced ventilation also with the 2 large TX's

My point was he has been given a picture to guide him for creating a diagnosis based program for students to learn about fault finding, you would expect the example to be showing a compliant up to date panel in all aspects of regulations and not one that falls short on them even if the breaches are just cosmetic issues.

Yes I agree.

Was just out if interest squire. Wasn't saying you were wrong or disagreeing, Id seen the identification of conductors, wanted to know if I'd missed anything.

This is brilliant, thanks for the input.
I have had a consultant in for quite a lot of the project but I'm trying to get as much content in as possible before paying for another day of his time (£500 a day)
I think the idea that the control panel is fairly out of date is part of the scenario. The user can flag up that an object doesn't meet regulations and choose how to act to rectify this (replacing MCBs for RCBOs or rewiring for example)
He previously mentioned that if the pool lights were not working, he would test the transformers output to ensure that they were 12v. Where abouts on the image would this be done? Would it be on the red and black wires running from the transformers?

Thanks again,

Matt

Thanks for the reply, tbh the output of the TX can be tested at various points, I would in this scenario of proving for the 12v test the secondary side of the TX directly on the TX terminals, then depending on results if no output you check input and so on... if you have an output then you work further downstream to the next joint until you confirm a loss of power possibly due to a failed termination, broken cable or you prove voltage to the lamp is good.

The test sequences will for safety reasons start as Lucien expresses with dead tests first, if this does not find any issues then the panel with be energised and live testing will be done... tbh most issues can be identified with dead tests but in reality live test are a damn sight quicker normally but its about what there been taught to do and that you must discuss with the tutors about sequence of tests.

Terminals.jpg

So would I be right in thinking that the input would be through terminals A,B > 1,2 which then goes into the transformer and the output would be from the transformer to terminals 3,4>C,D ?
So if the transformer was functioning correctly, taking a voltmeter reading at 1,2,A or B would display ~240v and a reading at 3,4,C or D would give a voltmeter reading of ~12v ?

I maybe be wrong but it looks like it says sec' under the A,B terminals and Primary under C,D so the opposite way around if this is the case, its hard to make out on the pic.

Great, I'll make a quick mock up version and send it through to the consultant for feedback. Thanks again for the help, all of this goes completely over my head, I have a new found respect for you guys!

Reply to Pool control panel wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net