Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. conrad

conrad Regular EF Member

Carrying out an eicr. Thoughts on these DBs installed in each room. Around 20 have been installed in this manner with no gland on the supply SWA and the top surface of the DB completely removed.
    Note the plasterboard hole is small in this image compared to some.
    What do you think other than replacing baring in mind the rcbos for this DB can be £100 alone. Paxolin to slide in etc? Time. Shame for the customer who has had this poor installation. 15466098772531807210984.jpg 15466099287081870504917.jpg
    I have noted as C2 for a number of different reasons. As follows if you wish to read.
    The SWA cable entering the DB has no gland fitted. C2
    Circuits passing through and supplying accessories in loaction containing bath/shower not provided with RCD protection. C3
    Large Hole not made good in plaster board above DB to prevent the spread of fire. C2
    No RCD protection on socket outlets, commercial premesis. C2 (Fridge Socket)
    No RCD protection for cables buried in the walls. C3
    Top surface of Distribution Board has been removed. The integrity of the DB has not been maintained during installation. ip4x not maintained. C2.

15466099609611453904172.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    my thoughts added to above. might be ott, but that's what i think.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

If the swa is glanded at the supply end and the armour is at least connected to earth, I can’t see how it can possibly be a C2 unless there is signs of mechanical stresses on the cable at the load end?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Flanders

Flanders Regular EF Member

Agree with you on most of them but not the code 2 for sockets outlets, unless they can be used out doors, Yes I agree it would be better to have RCD protection but not sure if I could justify a code 2 it would be a code 3 for me if they can not be use outdoors.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    have to disagree with that. just as easy to damage an appliance flex indoors as it is outdoors, so a potential danger.... ergo a C2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

The idea is tho that you are now outside the equipotential bonding using outdoor equipment so I’d agree that if socket outlets that are not likely to be used outdoors and this is carefull considered by the inspector perhaps in conjunction with the client, then I agree a C3 at worst for no rcd protection to sockets.
    You are coding against additional protection to the user and not the equipment plugged into it
    For a specific socket used as in the op for a fridge it can’t possibly be a C2 code

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  7. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    agree with the fridge socket. we have 3 freezers and a fridge/freezer in garage, aka man cave. no RCD on sockets. ifi get zapped, it's my own fault. the 2 outside sockets on the circuit however are both RCD sockets. bench supplies are similar to this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Is this one of those big modular hotels where the entire bedroom is craned into position and "plugged in"?
    I'm thinking its a big concrete or metal box. A fire within the room or the CU would be confined to the module itself. The hole in the plasterboard doesn't go through to the rest of the hotel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Flanders

Thinking about the hole I would not code 2 for fire reasons because as long as all the terminals are tight its not going to catch on fire , but might code 2 it due to the amount of dust debris that could build up inside the CU and get into the terminals due to the large hole.

10. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

The DB will be IPX4 with the cover on,as access is prevented by the ceiling. Code 3 as manufacturers instructions not complied with . The coding for the bath/ shower room would depend on the presence or not of supplementary bonding, code 2 without, code 3 with. If there is any possibility of movement on the SWA I would code 2, otherwise code 3.
    A socket outlet without RCD protection cannot possibly be potentially dangerous unless there is a particular hazard, such as supplying mobile equipment outdoors. An indoor socket for a fridge cannot warrant a code 2, code 3 is appropriate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  11. conrad

conrad Regular EF Member

In a commercial premesis it is marked as a C2 in the Napit codebreakers book.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

Napit are wrong then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. conrad

conrad Regular EF Member

No

14. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

They also code 2 pvc cables not rcd protected in walls less than 50mm from surface so it’s not to be taken as gospel in my opinion.
    Books like this can have the opposite effect as in people will use it as gospel rather than coding it on the current circumstances

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Flanders

Does it give a reason for this? , also is a hotel classed as commercial I thought they would be classed as simply a hotel