• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

conrad

-
Reaction score
Carrying out an eicr. Thoughts on these DBs installed in each room. Around 20 have been installed in this manner with no gland on the supply SWA and the top surface of the DB completely removed.
Note the plasterboard hole is small in this image compared to some.
What do you think other than replacing baring in mind the rcbos for this DB can be £100 alone. Paxolin to slide in etc? Time. Shame for the customer who has had this poor installation.Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel 15466098772531807210984 - EletriciansForums.net Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel 15466099287081870504917 - EletriciansForums.net
I have noted as C2 for a number of different reasons. As follows if you wish to read.
The SWA cable entering the DB has no gland fitted. C2
Circuits passing through and supplying accessories in loaction containing bath/shower not provided with RCD protection. C3
Large Hole not made good in plaster board above DB to prevent the spread of fire. C2
No RCD protection on socket outlets, commercial premesis. C2 (Fridge Socket)
No RCD protection for cables buried in the walls. C3
Top surface of Distribution Board has been removed. The integrity of the DB has not been maintained during installation. ip4x not maintained. C2.

Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel 15466099609611453904172 - EletriciansForums.net

Carrying out an eicr. Thoughts on these DBs installed in each room. Around 20 have been installed in this manner with no gland on the supply SWA and the top surface of the DB completely removed.
Note the plasterboard hole is small in this image compared to some.
What do you think other than replacing baring in mind the rcbos for this DB can be £100 alone. Paxolin to slide in etc? Time. Shame for the customer who has had this poor installation.View attachment 46899 View attachment 46900
I have noted as C2 for a number of different reasons. As follows if you wish to read.
The SWA cable entering the DB has no gland fitted. C2
Circuits passing through and supplying accessories in loaction containing bath/shower not provided with RCD protection. C3
527.2.1 C2
Large Hole not made good in plaster board above DB to prevent the spread of fire. C2
No RCD protection on socket outlets, commercial premesis. C2 (Fridge Socket)
No RCD protection for cables buried in the walls. C3. C2
Top surface of Distribution Board has been removed. The integrity of the DB has not been maintained during installation. ip4x not maintained. C2.

View attachment 46901

my thoughts added to above. might be ott, but that's what i think.

Agree with you on most of them but not the code 2 for sockets outlets, unless they can be used out doors, Yes I agree it would be better to have RCD protection but not sure if I could justify a code 2 it would be a code 3 for me if they can not be use outdoors.
have to disagree with that. just as easy to damage an appliance flex indoors as it is outdoors, so a potential danger.... ergo a C2.

have to disagree with that. just as easy to damage an appliance flex indoors as it is outdoors, so a potential danger.... ergo a C2.
The idea is tho that you are now outside the equipotential bonding using outdoor equipment so I’d agree that if socket outlets that are not likely to be used outdoors and this is carefull considered by the inspector perhaps in conjunction with the client, then I agree a C3 at worst for no rcd protection to sockets.
You are coding against additional protection to the user and not the equipment plugged into it
For a specific socket used as in the op for a fridge it can’t possibly be a C2 code

Last edited:
agree with the fridge socket. we have 3 freezers and a fridge/freezer in garage, aka man cave. no RCD on sockets. ifi get zapped, it's my own fault. the 2 outside sockets on the circuit however are both RCD sockets. bench supplies are similar to this:
Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Is this one of those big modular hotels where the entire bedroom is craned into position and "plugged in"?
I'm thinking its a big concrete or metal box. A fire within the room or the CU would be confined to the module itself. The hole in the plasterboard doesn't go through to the rest of the hotel.

Thinking about the hole I would not code 2 for fire reasons because as long as all the terminals are tight its not going to catch on fire , but might code 2 it due to the amount of dust debris that could build up inside the CU and get into the terminals due to the large hole.

The DB will be IPX4 with the cover on,as access is prevented by the ceiling. Code 3 as manufacturers instructions not complied with . The coding for the bath/ shower room would depend on the presence or not of supplementary bonding, code 2 without, code 3 with. If there is any possibility of movement on the SWA I would code 2, otherwise code 3.
A socket outlet without RCD protection cannot possibly be potentially dangerous unless there is a particular hazard, such as supplying mobile equipment outdoors. An indoor socket for a fridge cannot warrant a code 2, code 3 is appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this one of those big modular hotels where the entire bedroom is craned into position and "plugged in"?
I'm thinking its a big concrete or metal box. A fire within the room or the CU would be confined to the module itself. The hole in the plasterboard doesn't go through to the rest of the hotel.
No

In a commercial premesis it is marked as a C2 in the Napit codebreakers book.
They also code 2 pvc cables not rcd protected in walls less than 50mm from surface so it’s not to be taken as gospel in my opinion.
Books like this can have the opposite effect as in people will use it as gospel rather than coding it on the current circumstances

Thinking about the hole I would not code 2 for fire reasons because as long as all the terminals are tight its not going to catch on fire , but might code 2 it due to the amount of dust debris that could build up inside the CU and get into the terminals due to the large hole.
Again reading the napit codebreakers book it states holes not made goot as to reduce the spread of fire are C2. I would rather C2 and have a valid reference such as a book than to C3 it and argue against it.

Again reading the napit codebreakers book it states holes not made goot as to reduce the spread of fire are C2. I would rather C2 and have a valid reference such as a book than to C3 it and argue against it.
You have bs 7671 as reference.
It can be considered a C2 if it’s a fire barrier as per section 527

Napit are wrong then.
I disagree. If someone was to plug something in
You have bs 7671 as reference.
It can be considered a C2 if it’s a fire barrier
527.2.1 is the reg attached to the coding in the napit book. Obviously there will be no mention of coding in the regs but again i would rather have a reference, although i agree not gospel.

Reply to Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back