Discuss Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Note 2: This regulation precludes, for example, the use of non-metallic cable clips or cable ties as the sole means of support where cables are clipped direct to exposed surfaces or suspended under cable tray, and the use of non-metallic cable as the sole means of support of the cables therein.

Note 3: Suitably spaced steel or copper clips. Saddles or ties are examples that will meet the requirements of this regulation

Metal clips/supports fixing pvc cables inside a plastic trunking wiring system are one way to comply with this regulation.
Not the only way but one way nevertheless.
Quite suitable for retro fitting on existing installations.

I take it you mean 521.10.202?
Perhaps you can point out where it states metal clips must be used in plastic trunking?
How do you prevent plastic trunking and the cables within collapsing in the event of a fire without fire resistant cable retainers within?

I’ve been installing metal cable ties every third tie on upside down and vertical tray since before I can remember.
Again where in the Regulation does it state metal clips are required in plastic trunking?

I’ve been installing metal cable ties every third tie on upside down and vertical tray since before I can remember.
Again where in the Regulation does it state metal clips are required in plastic trunking?
Perhaps you only skimmed over the 2 notes to the regulation I’ve provided??

Of course you have!
That is not the discussion tho is it?
The point is that it was not a requirement of the regulations no matter how much you spin it!

From the 18th:
521.10.202 Wiring systems shall be supported such that they will not be liable to premature collapse in the event of a fire.
NOTE 1: Wiring systems hanging across access or egress routes may hinder evacuation and firefighting activities.
NOTE 2: Cables installed in or on steel cable containment systems are deemed to meet the requirements of this regulation.
NOTE 3: This regulation precludes, for example, the use of non-metallic cable clips or cable ties as the sole means of support where cables are clipped direct to exposed surfaces or suspended under cable tray, and the use of non-metallic cable trunking as the sole means of support of the cables therein.
NOTE 4: Suitably spaced steel or copper clips, saddles or ties are examples that will meet the requirements of this regulation.

Taking all things wrong with the install into consideration i say C2.
Tha angle which swa enters means that the connections are under stress.
Theres alot of dust inside the consumer units due to the large hole. Theres a draft so anything could enter it etc insualtion...
I believe c2 also for the lack of rcd protection due to them being in a commercial premesis and not being used for fridges in all cases also not labelled and no RA.
I stick to my original coding.

We have a problem here. That which is wrong by todays standards was acceptable by previous standards.
As I've stated already the regs are not retrospective. That would suggest another method of recording any inadequacies.
To say that it is dangerous would imply that the previous regulations were in fact wrong. As far as your coding is concerned, I think you should take it up with the JPEL/64 committee.

We have a problem here. That which is wrong by todays standards was acceptable by previous standards.
As I've stated already the regs are not retrospective. That would suggest another method of recording any inadequacies.
To say that it is dangerous would imply that the previous regulations were in fact wrong. As far as your coding is concerned, I think you should take it up with the JPEL/64 committee.

As i stated. My coding is all inline with the napit codebreaker book which for me is a good reference point.

It doesn't, however undoubtedly cables within a plastic trunking would not comply without fire resistant support.

Reply to Poor install EICR 12 year old hotel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock