Discuss Poor installation practice/design in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
currently working through a EICR on a empty care home soon to be refurbished and new clients to move in.
Distribution circuit from DB 1 feeding DB3( supplying sockets/ lighting etc) fed from a C type bs en 60898 mcb 63 amp.
Max zs 0.34(100% value)
Measured zs 0.34 ( over the 80% correction factor at site measured temperature)
DB 6 fed ( supplying sockets and lighting)from DB 3 on a 40 amp type C bs en 60898.
So a sub main feeding a DB feeding another submain for another DB all 3 phase.
A discrimination/ design nightmare all carried out in 2006, no EIC , electrical/mechanical or design drawings.
And they say domestic is bad!!
No questions to ask the forum, just a rant really.

It’s awful.
I’ve got ring final circuits with readings of 1.86 ohms for the line and neutral conductors because they are such large cable runs and the number of points on some of the rings reach upto 56 points!
Same with the lights, some have around 40 points where around 7 bedrooms are fed from a single circuit.

Get into some old industrial plants and have a look in some old control panels. No drawings, all singles, all same colour. Just a manager barking to get the thing working :)

:grinning:
Its what makes it interesting, be rubbish if everything was labelled and easy ..

I love doing that! Perhaps without the manager bit. Last one was good fun, all red wires no wire markers, no labels on any component or the I/O terminals.

Yes I see so many bad designed installations as you describe I feel your pain. I think people just think if sockets you use 2.5mm with and a 32 amp mcb or rdbo with no thought for volt drop max zs ect, and I lost count of the amount of circuits I find that have excessive earth loop impedance.:mad:

currently working through a EICR on a empty care home soon to be refurbished and new clients to move in.
Distribution circuit from DB 1 feeding DB3( supplying sockets/ lighting etc) fed from a C type bs en 60898 mcb 63 amp.
Max zs 0.34(100% value)
Measured zs 0.34 ( over the 80% correction factor at site measured temperature)
DB 6 fed ( supplying sockets and lighting)from DB 3 on a 40 amp type C bs en 60898.
So a sub main feeding a DB feeding another submain for another DB all 3 phase.
A discrimination/ design nightmare all carried out in 2006, no EIC , electrical/mechanical or design drawings.
And they say domestic is bad!!
No questions to ask the forum, just a rant really.
Understand your frustration fella, I have seen similar, it happens everywhere, DBs being fed off others is a very regular thing to see, it is almost the norm,

Reply to Poor installation practice/design in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net