Discuss poor workmanship in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alan Mutlow

Hi everyone,

I have viewed a job recently where the customer was concerned about the quality of the electrical work. It was a complete rewire and new extension. In investigating the job I found a lot of junction boxes throughout with no identification to line or neutral, I found no earth bond but property is supplied by plastic and is plastic near enough throughout. An electrical installtion certificate has been issued by the company responsible. Would loke to know if anyone has come across this situation or what others would do about it, cheers

Not alot of point bonding the plastic, bonding any copper parts in between plastic sections could introduce a potential to the copper sections in fault conditions, as for the non identification of L+N, have they not used cables with the correct colours or are you referring to switch wires not marked? I would have a look in the back of a couple of sockets, see how well they are terminated maybe see how tidy the board is and go from there, doesn't sound like anything dangerous but laziness breeds sloppiness and there could be faults waiting to rear their head

So just identify the conductors as needed perform test to ensure safety of work, apply knowledge of regulations to what is installed and off you go...

Probably fairer to the customer financially to do a sample first on the obvious areas and then follow on to a full EICR and remedial works IF necessary, you have the EIC so it isn't too much of a stretch to test a couple of circuits and compare results along with some visuals, checking security of terminations etc.

Did you test to any of the metal parts to see if bonding as necessary?
I think recommending a full EICR is overkill, to me it smacks of a knee jerk reaction at best. At worst, well let's not go there eh?
If the biggest problems on this job are no bonding required and a bit of missed sleeving then you're making mountains out of molehills.
Is it sloppy? Yes, very. Is it dangerous? No

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to poor workmanship in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net