Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Popped USB Plug advice, connected to extension lead in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. waqasahmed
    Offline

    waqasahmed New EF Member

    Location:
    West Yorkshire
    Hi,

    So in my wall socket, I have plugged in

    A Belkin SurgeCube (Literally saved my life at one point) I mention this, because ideally I'd want to keep this in.
    A heavy duty extension lead (not surge protected) going in to that surgecube

    In to the extension lead, I plugged in

    A genuine HTC USB charger (CE certified, as it came with the phone)
    My shaver plug

    Though none of these were plugged in to any thing. I use my USB plug to charge my powerbank, which I then use in bed at night

    So.. Nothing was connected to these plugs. The USB plug appeared to have went "pop" I heard a popping. It sounded like it came from the heavy duty extension lead, so I took the extension lead out of the surgecube. I say appears to have, as I tested it in the morning, and I still had no joy. I'm hoping it was just the plug..

    I tested another USB plug in to the same extension lead, and that worked. I then quickly took it out of that extension lead as well... I'm not an electrician, and even if I was, I'd think it's perhaps safer to not bother too much when you're going to work and to leave it as safe as possible

    The surgecube was still left on. The USB plug doesn't seem to work when trying in a different socket so I'm hoping it is just that and not something safety related.

    I've now taken the SurgeCube out of the wall socket as well and used a different wall socket with a different heavy duty extension lead.

    Any advice on what I should do next would be appreciated
     
  2. DJ Ovengloves
    Offline

    DJ Ovengloves Regular EF Member

    Location:
    Purley
    What?
     
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. waqasahmed
    Offline

    waqasahmed New EF Member

    Location:
    West Yorkshire
    I'm sorry. I thought I was quite detailed. Basically my USB charger (connected in to an extension lead) popped and I'm wondering if any one knows what I should do next. Is the main sockeet and extension lead safe? I'm fairly paranoid after yknow....nearly dying in what would have been a fire, if a surgecube didn't burn out (A previous surge cube - Recycled long ago)
     
  4. westward10
    Offline

    westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

    Location:
    Northamptonshire
    If it went pop and no longer functions it sounds like you need a new one. As for whether your socket and extension lead are safe no one is going to be able to give an opinion without physically seeing them and testing them.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Murdoch
    Offline

    Murdoch Electrician's Arms

    Location:
    Woking
    This is precisely why I won't fit sockets with integrated usb ports ....
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DJ Ovengloves
    Offline

    DJ Ovengloves Regular EF Member

    Location:
    Purley
    You were detaild, the usb thingy broke, throw it away. The confusion was in what else you were asking as no one can tell you whether the other stuff is safe/at fault remotely.

     
  7. westward10
    Offline

    westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

    Location:
    Northamptonshire
    Bit confusing but I don't think it is a socket with usb ports.
     
  8. Murdoch
    Offline

    Murdoch Electrician's Arms

    Location:
    Woking
    ^^ my point is that the op can unplug the broken unit and buy a new one ...
     
    • Like Like x 1
  9. telectrix
    Offline

    telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

    Location:
    cheshire/staffordshire
    Business Name:
    Telectrix
    think the sugar cube is the problem. best use is for about 6 to be dissolved in tea or coffee.
     
  10. Matthewd29
    Offline

    Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

    Location:
    Belfast
    Transformer in the socket for the USB outlet possibly failed
     
  11. shaun1
    Offline

    shaun1 Regular EF Member

    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Can you see any signs of damage on any of your devices/cables?

    E.g. heat damage or smoke or swelling or burn marks. Do the pins of the charger plug look damaged? Do any of the smell?

    If there is no sign of damage to anything and only the charger has stopped working then I would just replace that. But if you are in any doubt then it wouldn't cost much to replace the other parts as well or get an electrician to inspect and test all the bits. Although I would think this would cost more than replacing.
     
  12. Des 56
    Offline

    Des 56 Trusted Advisor

    Location:
    Gliese 581C
    One safety tip that many people may ignore or not be aware,if you use an extension cable,make sure,if it is on a reel, it is fully unwound before applying loads to it
     
Loading...
Similar Threads - Popped Plug advice Forum Date
Just had to post this! Western power replace main fuse twice and it popped both times Electrical Forum Sep 13, 2017
plugs and unswitched socket outlets used as isolators! Commercial Electrical Talk Nov 8, 2017

Share This Page

  • Electricians Directory Post a Domestic Job Post a Commercial Job