Discuss Porch lights on a timer?? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Scousetilidie

Hello,
Just a question, hopefully someone can answer for me.
I have outside porch lights 2x LED on a dimmer switch controlled from my hallway.
Question is ... can I fit a timer to the wiring? And how?
The wires go into a junction box in my garage so I could ... if I'm right in thinking fit a timer in-line?
Not sure how to do this , but am I correct? Or is it not possible?
I know I can fit a timer in place of the dimmer switch, but I would like to keep that as it is looks better than a white timer
Cheers in advance
Scousetilidie.

you'd need to fit the timer before the dimmer. tyou can buy timers that fit on the din rail in the \CU.

If you want to dim the LEDs can't you just fit lower wattage lamps

If you want to dim the LEDs can't you just fit lower wattage lamps

Thanks but I can control the lights with the dimmer switch.
Just wanted to know if it's possible to fit a timer after the light switch itself?

do you think timer will like running on <230V. i don't.

You could fit it after the dimmer, by like telctrix said I'm not sure the timer would like running on <230v. Therefore if the junction box in the garage has an un-switched 230v supply in it, you could used this to feed the timer and have it switching the load.

Don't what you are trying to achieve, but if you just want your porch lights to operate during hours of darkness, why not put them on a photocell. And if they are too bright, get smaller wattage lamps :)

Reply to Porch lights on a timer?? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net