Discuss Possible Scam in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

whinmoor

-
Arms
Reaction score
I had an unsolicited phone call this morning from a guy claiming to represent a consortium of independent schools. They wanted an MCS company to install solar panels on school buildings and did I want my company to be the exclusive supplier of PV to such schools in my county? I needed to pay an upfront £250 fee to be included on an approved procurement database.

Needless to say, I didn't proceed with this opportunity as something sounded a bit fishy.

This is the second similar approach I've had in the last couple of months. I was contacted in a similar way by Sigma Publishing claiming to represent my local police force and did I want to have an advert in their magazine entitled "Blue Light". Sounded a bit dodgy to me:

Misleading advertising scam claiming to be for “Bluelight Magazine” – 15th December 2011 | WHGLA

Take care with your advertising, folks.

The police one sounds like one we had last week. I insisted that they email me some information but it never arrived - good job as i thought it was too good to be true! Has anyone been approached by Energy Savings Guide? Again really cheap space but nothing to show in terms of actual published material.

The police magazine is a well established scam, there are a lot of posts on the checkatrade forum about it as they get peoples details from the checkatrade site. They are very persistant and very abusive when it goes wrong (which it will) having stung you once during the following telephone conversations they will try and persuade you that you agreed to another advert and try and sting you again. when you refuse they get very heavy indeed.
Trading standards are aware and the name of the individual concerned is known, yet somehow after several years he is still going.
The school thing sounds like it is in the same vein. there is absolutely no requirement to pay upfront to be an approved contractor.
As I have said before, when bloods in the water the sharks come feeding.

Blue light is a well known one, police diarys, wall charts, wall planers, ballon sponsorship, cards in home base, nurses union, golf magazine, football monthly, and lots more. All have tried it with me over the years. All have had the same response. And not a polite one. Never advertise off the backs of a cold call. If you've never heard of it then the likelihood I'd neither has anyone else.

Looks as if the Blue Light scam is on again, my wife nearly paid £358.00 for advert in this so called magazine and last year also for a childrens charity magazine (the charity exists but not the magazine) Thanks for posting the info otherwise the misses would have spent my hard earned money.

I always tell 'em I never buy on a phone call, never give out my credi card details to strangers, but if they send me the info in the post I'll look at it and get back to them. I'm still waiting for the postman ....

PJ

With those sort of phone calls, I find it best the heed the sage advice given by the cast of Grange Hill many moons ago...

8534.jpg

I got caught with one of these a few years back. All rushed etc, emailing me contracts over then ringing 5 minutes later for the return. Stupidly I done it then after a few days thought wtf.

When I said I wanted to cancel was told I couldn't etc.

The cheeky buggers even sent me a 'fake' court papers saying they had taken me to court but when ringing the court there was no such reference.

In my area there's a site called NEPO, North East Procurement Organisation. All public sector contracts that are going out for tender by local councils etc are put up on there and it's free to join. No doubt there are similar things for other areas too.

Thanks somecamel, stu and Gavin A. I did receive a letter telling me I would get 10% disc if I paid now but decided to pay after I receive the magazine just wasn't sure. I even got sent a glossy A4 page with the mag heading and all the emergency services listed with pics. Give my misses her due she did do some research and thought it was a scam, the address given looks like liverpool city council according to google earth. The forum just confirmed that people will go to great lengths to get your money.

Reply to Possible Scam in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net