Discuss Post napit assesment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkymatt1987

Am I doing right by issuing and EIC before my assessment with napit and being able to notify it if and went I pass. I've heard this is true but doesnt seem right

Thats right.

You have a few weeks to notify from when the job is finished. When the job is finished is up to you

This is what I did on my first Elecsa assessment.

The assessor will want to see if you have filled the paperwork in correctly, and also to get you to re-do one or more of the tests, and will more than likely compare the results.

When you pass, then sign it off, I understand you were supposed to get it signed off by the LABC first, but if like me you have spent up on your assessment (lol).

So you never had any involvement with building control and it was all ok to sign off afterwards​

Yep, I just had to make doubly sure it was spot on, I couldn't afford to mess it up!, squeaky bum time lol​

I think this really needs clarifying. Technically, I believe you must notify LBC (if it is notifiable work) before you undertake your assessment jobs. Then after completion get them out to sign it off. Then get it assessed by your scheme provider. If this is the case then I think there should be some ruling for specific jobs which are going to be assessed.

Well the problem is, whilst informing building control, they say they need to send someone to carry out the test and inspection. Well this would be no good as the assessor needs to see that I have carry it all out myself.

Yes, wasnt clear. Can use an already registered sparky as well to do the notify, but this is all with prior consent from BC. If you approach em they are usually more than helpful.

Perhaps my post did not come across very well,

I had already worked for a NIC company, installing, testing and filling in the certs anyway, until I was made unemployed (through no fault of my own), I spent all of my savings on the Meters, Cal certs, PL insurance and registration fees, so my only infringement was not informing LABC, which was extortinately priced, and which I could not afford at the time.

I only did what I had been doing in my day job, and I decided I would take the risk!, Iam not advising this course of action for everyone.

Edit: it was on my own house as well

Last edited:
Same as spark 68. Example work was on my own house. I decided that I had better uses for my cash than giving the LABC £300! But yes, it does add a little extra risk so you may choose to notify LABC in advance and pay the money for peace of mind. Nothing stops you doing an EIC of your own, whatever checking their contractor may do.

Ok this is my problem then. Only did this because I was made to think it was right. The rewire that I am showing the assessor, I have not informed BC because they were saying they would come out and test it for me. This has added some pressure for friday even tho I'm confident I have done everything correct

Im sure they will be fine if you just rang up now & told them! The crux of all of this is,

Councils have no money to get by doing the basics, the sub out building inspector work, id imagine (& my impression is) that they couldnt give 2 hoots about a silly money making scam dreampt up in 2004 that was thrust upon their already overloaded system, that they get no benefit from, and are expected to administer & police!!

Just a thought if course I could be wrong.

Reply to Post napit assesment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock