Discuss Potential earth loop impedance issues for second floor flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TeeCK

-
Reaction score
Hello!

After years of renting I'm currently in the process of purchasing our first property. We've had an offer accepted on a 1 bedroom flat in Surrey. However there are questions over the electrics, and knowing little about electrical wiring I'm a bit stumped on how bad the electrics are and how recoverable it is.

The building is three floors hosting nine flats total, with our prospective flat on the top floor. The electrics are all based in a room on the ground floor. The building was erected in the 60s and based on this I requested an EICR certificate from an electrician to confirm the state of the electrics.

He has provided an NICEIC Visual Inspection Report as well as an email, and advised he was reluctant to perform a full test due to his visual checks. He confirmed the wiring is original and needs rewiring. He has also highlighted that the earth loop impedance for the socket circuit is too high due to the consumer unit being based on the ground floor in the electrical room, and there is no earth on the lighting circuit. His recommendation was a full rewire, a new submain to be installed up to the flat to combat the earth loop impedance, and a new consumer unit within the flat with main equipotential bonding installed. His estimate for this is £6000-7000 plus VAT, which seems high and is not a cost we can afford.

The seller has challenged this, as she has had her own electrician to look at the property. After speaking with the seller's electrician he agrees that a full rewire, new consumer unit and bonding is required. However, outside of convenience doesn't see the purpose of relocating the consumer unit to the top floor as there shouldn't be any concerns with earth loop impedance (his example being a town. His estimate was £2800-3500, not sure if that includes VAT but even if it doesn't that is half the price and we could stretch to that.

While I was initially sceptical over the seller's electrician's authenticity I've verified both electricians are registered and I don't doubt either electrician's reputation on the face of it. But I can't reconcile two seemingly opposite statements regarding the earth loop impedance and the approximate costs to repair.

Is the earth loop impedance likely to be an issue without the submain, or is the first electrician trying to make more work than is necessary?

Where in Surrey is the flat?

A visual report isn't worth anything .....

Are you 100% sure that the fuseboard is in the basement? That would be very unusual

So in summary both electricians are junk? I will freely admit to being too trusting when it comes to this sort of thing, presumably I sound like a bit of a mug to them!

The property is in Ashford and the consumer unit is almost definitely on the ground floor, although I haven't personally seen it (again, strike that as naivity and a life lesson learned). Presuming this is the case, is this a big no-no or more of an inconvenience in the event the electrics trip?

While I've put a bit of money into the purchase I can certainly pull out without any qualms if it doesn't add up.

OP. You're being mugged off. Spark 1 because he can't test. Spark 2 because of 7k to rewire a 1 bed flat.
I agree that price seems way over....but both sparks have recommended rewire.
I must say, with the state of some installs from around the time period, sometimes it is quite easy to deduce, even without a full EICR, whether a rewire is required.
I've never provided a 'visual inspection test report' and never intend to but I have told people that it's a waste of time and dosh carrying out a full inspection.
No way would I recommend a CU in a different location.....two floors below the flat?....joke.

However, outside of convenience doesn't see the purpose of relocating the consumer unit to the top floor as there shouldn't be any concerns with earth loop impedance (his example being a town.

Three floors down to reset a mcb/rcd on a new consumer unit? Definitely inconvenient. Let's hope it's not the lighting circuit that trips! Plus the extra cable lengths on all the final circuits?

Tbh it is quite amazing if it has been wired like that. Maybe the chap who wired it wasn't aware of distribution circuits lol. Maybe they could parallel up all those final circuits and make one big --- distribution circuit!! That'll save a few quid. It will look incredible too

Three floors down to reset a mcb/rcd on a new consumer unit? Definitely inconvenient. Let's hope it's not the lighting circuit that trips! Plus the extra cable lengths on all the final circuits?
Two floors down, and while a lack lighting makes life harder I can use a torch on the presumably rare occasion the lights trip.

The cable length is the bit that I'm not sure about (again as someone who hasn't the foggiest about electrics).

Two floors down, and while a lack lighting makes life harder I can use a torch on the presumably rare occasion the lights trip.

The cable length is the bit that I'm not sure about (again as someone who hasn't the foggiest about electrics).

Reply to Potential earth loop impedance issues for second floor flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net