• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Power from house cu to mancave in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As above, your very vague description show you are inexperienced. So please get a local sparks to design, install and test anything you want doing electrically.

Hi an thanks for the fast reply people

I was thinking to do it myself then get a friend of a friend who is an electrician to check it all over for me i was thinking to go down the route of adding a extra mcb in my consumer unit or even using the 40A shower one that's not in use then running a cable from the mcb to my garage an connecting it to a separate smaller consumer unit an running 10mm SWA armoured cable to my man cave / mini house there will be quite a lot of electrical stuff in there as I'm thinking to fit a shower/lights/wall sockets etc etc

I was thinking to do it myself then get a friend of a friend who is an electrician to check it all over for me

You then need to ask your friend of a friend what needs doing, as he/she will be signing it off.

Maybe I should have read your post @Andy78 before I posted mine.

Agree with Andy75, also given that you are a DIYer, it would far to difficult and dangerous to give advice, other than what has been said in the preceeding posts, an example where did you come up with a 10mm2 SWA were there any calculations done? or is it a stab in the dark, the latter I should imagine. far simmple to pay a qualified Electrician, to design, install, test and notify the BCO of this work, to coin a often used phrase, it's a lot more than just a couple of wires.

Ok I will try get in contact with them

but for the time being i was just wondering if the idea of running a wire from my consumer unit in my house to a smaller consumer unit in my garage would work i think the smaller consumer unit in my garage would have to be like a 4 way one ip65 with one fuse for shower 40A ? one for plug sockets 16A one for lighting 6A an a spare if i ever need to add anymore any help would be much appreciated as i am gonna try get this done diy as much as I can

You can run a cable from your house CU to your mancave.
All the other factors that go with this will be down to the electrician who will be signing off the work.

Hi Lewis - extending power to a remote building is not a simple thing, neither is modifying a distribution board. If you've an interest in the work my suggestion is to offer to work with the Electrician you engage.

i do fully under stand it's not a simple thing todo but I'm only here asking people to assist me in doing it I have changed mini circuit breakers in consumer units before an run cables to out buildings I'm just asking you guys to help me do it the safest way possible

i do fully under stand it's not a simple thing todo but I'm only here asking people to assist me in doing it I have changed mini circuit breakers in consumer units before an run cables to out buildings I'm just asking you guys to help me do it the safest way possible
Not adviseable to give step by step ad.vice Lewis, for your sake and that of any family members, get a Sparky to do the work, nothing wrong with you acting as a labourer, under the Sparky's suppervision

Getting an electrician in is the safest way. It is also the best way, as per your original question.
If you want to ignore that advice then the forum is not here to help you engage in potentially dangerous activities.

Not adviseable to give step by step advice Lewis, for your sake and that of any family members, get a Sparky to do the work, nothing wrong with you acting as a labourer, under the Sparky's suppervision

Ok I'll just give it ago an see how I get on I do fully understand what you are saying lads but I have done stuff like this many of times without any problems other then the mcb tripping an I put that down to me putting a low amp rated fuse in as stated i was just looking for answers to my questions todo it the safest way possible

Ok I'll just give it ago an see how I get on I do fully understand what you are saying lads but I have done stuff like this many of times without any problems other then the mcb tripping an I put that down to me putting a low amp rated fuse in as stated i was just looking for answers to my questions todo it the safest way possible
The safest way is the correct way, unfortunatly you haven’t demonstrated anything to show you are competant in understanding what we are telling you. You say you have a electrician to assist you, so I suggest you ask them for their advice as they will be far more knowledgeable of what the job involves than any of us do.

Reply to Power from house cu to mancave in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back