Discuss Power Keeps Cutting Out After New Fuse Box Installed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any advice. I hope this is an appropriate place to post this thread.

I live in a council flat and had a new bathroom fitted some months ago. A new fuse box was installed at the same time. Ever since we have had problems with the power cutting out. The same light switch always causes the power outage when the light is switched out, although it doesn't do so each time. The flat is a strange layout as we have exclusive use of what would normally be a communal stairwell (building plans were changed last minute when a dentist surgery was included downstairs). It is the upstairs light switch to this stairwell that triggers the cut each time. The light is one of those Fluorescent Bulbs that you typically get in communal areas.

I got the council to send out an electrician, who advised me that the problem was my surge protected 6-way power socket extensions and the new fuse box was too sensitive for them. I've got rid of all of these but am still having the same problem. My instinct is there is a fault due to the installation of the fuse box or perhaps the new electrics in the bathroom. However if I get the council to send out another electrician and they deem it to be a result of my own equipment I will be charged £100.

Any ideas? Is there an easy way I can locate the problem?

Thanks again.

Maybe a picture of said 'trip' will help.

Normally with cases like these the fault has always been there but not detected because it wasn't on a RCD protected circuit.

Boards get replaced with no pre testing so faults are not found before hand.

It will be a hard diagnoses on the internet I'm afraid.

My guess, and it is a fairly wild guess, is the strapping cable positions need to be swapped around. I say that as I came across this before with two way switching and it turned out that was the problem, and swapping the positions sorted it. Wild guess though! And by the way it is only applicable to 3 core and earth cable.

ha ha, just noticed it says rcd in massive letters... it's the switch next to the red mains switch that goes.

This is a job for an earth leakage clamp meter, tester & an electrician.

Without the proper equipment/experience it's going to be very difficult trying to diagnose this over the internet.

For what it's worth, there could be a fault on a different circuit some where??

Have you tried eliminating appliances e.t.c

A new CU fitted with new and old mcb's ? . If this has been going on since the new board was fitted i'd be paying nothing to get this mess sorted. Going off what you said maybe the landing lighting may share the same neutral with the Dentist downstairs !. Whoever fitted the CU should fix this FOC as with anything newly installed in my book .

RCD.S do not like shared neutrals.
This is NOT a easy thing to sort out
even experienced electricians will tell you,
problems like this can involve lots of time to sort out.
From a DIY perspective all you can do is work out what trips it
then it.s up to an electrician.
Call them back !

In the picture, the board looks like it's laid on the floor If so it will be the voltage dropping out of the top of the breakers that's causing it. :oops:

'The same light switch always causes the power outage when the light is switched out, although it doesn't do so each time'.

It could be something as simple as arching at that switch, something normally attributed to double pole switches, but I've read, can be caused by SP switches?

Is stairwell lighting into your fuse box, you need to
Flick switch, walk back and forward nine times wiggle flicking in between and possibly drop out
Neutral ata a time, and
Then maybe still rub the head

Hi I am training to become an electrician. I am just putting this out there for some more experienced electricians to maybe comment on.

The op said the switch controls a florescent tube, could it be that, it is the inductor in the tube causing the RCD to trip. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the inductor in the florescent tube inducing a current in the neutral conductor when the magnetic field around it collapses, after the switch has been flipped. This could cause a current more than 30mA in the Neutral and not in the Line and therefore trip the RCD?

Is there a simple test he could use to see if this theory holds any weight?

Reply to Power Keeps Cutting Out After New Fuse Box Installed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock