Discuss power loss @ socket but MCB still on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Forty4

-
Reaction score
Just been to a job where the tenants are saying that a socket in the lounge looses power randomly but does not trip the MCB, it's on a ring so I took all face plates off and checked connections, did IR and got >999 and got continuity on the RFC, 245v and zs 0.39 the problem did not occur while I was there.
They also complained that they had lost 4 microwaves this year but that is plugged into the cooker supply.

Any ideas on where I should look at now would be appreciated.

how can you "lose" 4 microwaves? sounds like an insurance scam.

remove socket. reconnect cables with wagos. fit blank plate. job done.

remove socket. reconnect cables with wagos. fit blank plate. job done.

Still not sure about these things tel....paul.m give me some to try and for the most part, there ok but there is alot of movement/play when fit to the cable. I dont understand how they can call them maintenance free when they've only been out a few years....how long did they test em for?????

Went to a similar thing once. Customer had a "faulty" socket that had "blown up" 3 tvs in as many months. Turned out they were buying the tellys from pawn shops/cash converters, and had even left one on the floor for the dog to pee on before they plugged it in.

If I had your test results and it's only one socket losing power, I might suspect a faulty socket front. Either that or rampant bullsh*t being the cause.

I would start by dismantling all the points on the circuit and visually checking for loose/damaged/corroded connections.

Still not sure about these things tel....paul.m give me some to try and for the most part, there ok but there is alot of movement/play when fit to the cable. I dont understand how they can call them maintenance free when they've only been out a few years....how long did they test em for?????

They aren't maintenance free are they? I had to use some MF boxrs the other day and the only ones my wholesaler had ate the large Hager boxes.

I picked up a pack if wagos however i couldnt find the MF logo anywhere on them?

They aren't maintenance free are they? I had to use some MF boxrs the other day and the only ones my wholesaler had ate the large Hager boxes.

I picked up a pack if wagos however i couldn't find the MF logo anywhere on them?
I believe, but I am not certain, that Wago connectors, used in accordance with the manufacturers instructions, inside wago boxes, will comply with the maintenance free requirement.
I.e. it is the unit as a whole that complies not just the connector. I do know they had not been approved at one point but I think they have now got approval.

I also read somewhere that wagos can be used as MF connections but there was a requirement for them to be derated amongst other things. If I can find the info again I'll post a link.

I also read somewhere that wagos can be used as MF connections but there was a requirement for them to be derated amongst other things. If I can find the info again I'll post a link.

Certainly the LINE connectors can be used as maintenance free if the 32A are derated to 20A and used in the LINE boxes, they also have an MF cable tie to use for the labelling.

The MF rating for these connectors is fairly recent.
If you check out LINE website you'll see that theirs are MF if derated.

I'd be very surprised if wagos' weren't similar.

Reply to power loss @ socket but MCB still on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net