Discuss Power shower not running in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pmmcbl

Hello all. After several checking several sites, this is the one with the best setup. As you can tell im new with a problem with a power shower.

The shower unit is done by Gainborough link - Gainsborough Ambassador High Pressure Mixer Shower - Concealed

Sadly I don't know the brand of the pump.

And it's a gravity system - Cold water tank on the loft and boiler on the second.

The problem really started today. I had a shower with no problems, then my otherhalf went in and she only had a bit of water coming from the shower.
The pump was still running. then, what I found very odd. She turned the shower off, the water stopped but the pump was still running!!!

I had to turn the power off the stop the pump from running. I then turned the pump on together with the shower and the pump isn't coming, the shower is running but at very very low pressure.

I guess it's either the pump has gone or there is some serious amount of air on the system. I also replaced the fuse and made not difference.

Thank you in advance

The chances are if the pump is running and your getting no pressure you have shed the impeller, or have some blockage perhaps in a filter, but that would not explain why the pump over ran when your turned the water off, that to me would indicated perhaps a pressure switch problem.

To be honest it would be virtually impossible to diagnose a problem via a forum without looking at your system and set up.

If you post your location here and perhaps your problem in the plumbing forum as well one of the lads could arrange to come over and have a look for you

Last edited:
The pump may need priming but that should not make the pump to run on.

Have you seen any sign of water anywhere, as if a pipe has come adrift this maybe why the shower has no pressure?

Thank you for your responses.

That was the first thing I did, checked for any leaks and could not find anything obvious.
I have added the same question on the plumbing forum. We are based around Newbury in Berkshire.

Shower inlets often have filters in them. If you feel confident enough turn off the shower electric supply at your CU and turn off the water supply. Open a cold tap in the bathroom to relieve any pressure on the system and unscrew the shower inlet pipe, inside there maybe a small gauze filter that is blocked. The filter may also be actually in the shower unit, if you do a search for your showers instructions maintenance procedures should be in there. As also stated you pump may need priming, this will also be in the instructions.

If it's concealed in the wall then you may have a few problems getting to it.

This is purely advice and should not be taken as gospel, your best option would be to get a professional plumber in the look at it, but find a reputable one.

Almost certainly air being pulled in to the system and preventing the magnetic float switches from operating properly.

Had something similar at a clients this week, where the tapping for the hot side was too high up the hot feed/vent pipe allowing air to be drawn in. Some "plumbers" have no idea - why does it take an electrician to sort these things out??

I have checked and the pump is called JetForce 75 MK7 with a serial number 1405919/4102/w32524. made or sold by New Team Limited

I hope tghis rings a bell to you. I will be doing some research and see if I find anything

The run on sounds like there is contamination on the flow switch causing it to jam and this then leads on to the level of contamination may be such that the filter is blocked.

However the fact that it happened quickly may mean that the magnetic coupling to the impeller has failed so would require a new pump.

I have have found a few people with the same pump and problem and the response I found across the board was "I think it is most likely to be a sticking flow switch or the carbon bush between the hot and cold pump jackets has failed." Will see what happens when I get someone in to check it. My question for you all, should I get a electrician or a plumber? And does anyone know a good person around Newbury?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Power shower not running in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net