Discuss Power shower wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

ColinJohnston

Hi all,

I understand the wiring requirements for Electric showers that need 10mm2 cable.

I'm just not clear of the position with Power showers, specifically this Mira one:

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/pdf/1079321_w2_d_mira_go_thermostatic_power_shower.pdf

The Mira spec says 1.0mm2 to 2.5mm2, basically the same stuff as used for sockets around the house.

Good old google has thrown up links that suggest it can be wired as a spur from existing wiring.

Can anyone clarify what this one actually needs?

Many thanks :)

Power supply - 230-240 V at 50 Hz, fused at 3 Amps, via a double pole fused switch (not supplied) with a minimum contact separation of 3 mm for each contact.

Electrical Connections - Terminal block will accept cable up to 2.5 mm². Minimum cable size (cross-sectional area) required under normal installation conditions is 1 mm2.

Power Consumption - 150 W maximum.

The instructions are pretty specific, I'd suggest rather follow them than arbitrary internet advice.

Hi all,

I understand the wiring requirements for Electric showers that need 10mm2 cable.

I'm just not clear of the position with Power showers, specifically this Mira one:

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/pdf/1079321_w2_d_mira_go_thermostatic_power_shower.pdf

The Mira spec says 1.0mm2 to 2.5mm2, basically the same stuff as used for sockets around the house.

Good old google has thrown up links that suggest it can be wired as a spur from existing wiring.

if its fed from a boiler it will probably only need 2.5mm (hot and cold)

10mm is if the shower only takes a cold water feed

It is a 150 watt appliance.
1.5mm T+E is fine, they use a 3 Amp fuse, so in theory could use 1mm, but being as it is a power use, we have to use 1.5mm.
Without looking up the instructions linked above, the one I did last week said it MUST have RCD protection.
We only have to take note of Manufacturers Instrcutions now, but disregarding that one in Court would be very difficult, so make sure it has RCD protection.

It is a 150 watt appliance.
1.5mm T+E is fine, they use a 3 Amp fuse, so in theory could use 1mm, but being as it is a power use, we have to use 1.5mm.
Without looking up the instructions linked above, the one I did last week said it MUST have RCD protection.
We only have to take note of Manufacturers Instrcutions now, but disregarding that one in Court would be very difficult, so make sure it has RCD protection.
the thing is the op has to follow it as he cant use his electrical knowledge and experience to not follow them.

if it gets taken to court he will be ripped to shreds if he doesnt follow the manufacturer's instructions or bs7671 which i doubt he owns

Am I missing something, won't it need RCD protection anyway being a special location?

Many thanks for the clarity. So, if I go down the route of a 30ma RCBO, what size of fuse rating would it need? (isolating switch would still be fused at 3amps as per manuf. instr.)

Thread moved to diy on account of op being a Joiner according to his profile.

Hi all,

Umm, i hope not ...

Also ... table 52.3 BS7671 minimum CSA for power circuits = 1.5mm

I know you're supposed to follow manufactures instructions - but it would be nice if the manufactures actually consulted the regs them selves on occasions and got themselves at least a little bit in sink.

Thanks for all of the replies, think I'm sorted on the setup now with the exception of the bonding...
Seems like everything that is currently in the bathroom is bonded, and I will be able to extend the bonding to the copper feed pipes leading to the shower.
However, not sure about bonding the actual shower unit itself. Do I need to bond it too, and if so, where to connect the bonding wire to?

Thanks for all of the replies, think I'm sorted on the setup now with the exception of the bonding...
Seems like everything that is currently in the bathroom is bonded, and I will be able to extend the bonding to the copper feed pipes leading to the shower.
However, not sure about bonding the actual shower unit itself. Do I need to bond it too, and if so, where to connect the bonding wire to?

these pipes need to be tested to see if they are (a) already bonded . (b) do they require bonding.

Reply to Power shower wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock