• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Power supply build needed. in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm learning bits and bobs here and there about the mystical +/- that's all around us, but not enough to tackle this problem.

Please don't ask why, (!), but here is the project...

A 128 raspberry pi cluster. The raspberry pi is one of these newish micro board pcs. The Cluster or Super computer is a project I've had on the go for some time now, I've been through V1, and I'm currently building V2.

The stickiest problem is getting power out to all the pis. Each pi needs a supply of 5V 2-2.5A, with a max of 6w usage when flat out.

I have so far supplied this power with multiple USB charging blocks, this works perfectly and the blocks are surge protected so there's no chance of burning the pis. But, with this approach I'm also having to power 16 power blocks with all their internals and lights and fans. I'd far sooner have one supply.

So, I need a power supply with a 5v output at 2.5a, with 128 +/- outputs capable of 6w max, with each live protected.

I'm either looking for a schematic (documented for a novice) or a complete build.

Please get back to me if you're interested with a ball park figure.

Many thanks. :eek:)

the only raspberry pies i've ever known are what my granny used to make, along with gooseberry pies, apple pies, all served with custard. mmmmm. pigeon pies however came with a rich gravy stock. was gutted when she popped her clogs and her recipes died with her.

Hmmmm.....rasberry pie with custard

Power supply build needed. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

with

and you get

:):)

Hi folks. I'm learning bits and bobs here and there about the mystical +/- that's all around us, but not enough to tackle this problem.

Please don't ask why, (!), but here is the project...

A 128 raspberry pi cluster. The raspberry pi is one of these newish micro board pcs. The Cluster or Super computer is a project I've had on the go for some time now, I've been through V1, and I'm currently building V2.

The stickiest problem is getting power out to all the pis. Each pi needs a supply of 5V 2-2.5A, with a max of 6w usage when flat out.

I have so far supplied this power with multiple USB charging blocks, this works perfectly and the blocks are surge protected so there's no chance of burning the pis. But, with this approach I'm also having to power 16 power blocks with all their internals and lights and fans. I'd far sooner have one supply.

So, I need a power supply with a 5v output at 2.5a, with 128 +/- outputs capable of 6w max, with each live protected.

I'm either looking for a schematic (documented for a novice) or a complete build.

Please get back to me if you're interested with a ball park figure.

Many thanks. :eek:)

Has anything changed from this post?

Best cable for 5v power... - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/best-cable-for-5v-power.169747/#post-1474444

Reply to Power supply build needed. in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock