Discuss Power Supply to Shed in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikeevans1004

Alright team! Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Looking to run a SWA cable to my shed from my garage in order to power 1 double socket and 2 LED lights. Shed is less than 10 meters from garage. I plan to run the SWA cable directly to the socket then from the socket to a fused light switch with a 3 amp fuse. Entire house has been recently re-wired and garage is on its own ring main on a 32 amp breaker at my consumer unit. Garage ring main currently only has 3 double sockets which power a freezer, fridge, washer and dryer and occasionally some power tools and what-not.

First Question: Can I spur off my garage ring main with the SWA cable and if so, which is the best way to "break in" to the ring main.

Second question: What size cable do I need?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Welcome to the forum :)

As a forum we are all for helping a fellow tradesman even if your electrical origins were experienced elsewhere but you seem to be asking us for a step by step guide here, if you would show us your thoughts and calcs for the SWA + you chosen install methods then we would be more than pleased to confirm and/or correct your calcs and methods, simply asking what size cable without any additional info would mean we are only guessing too.

Just a few questions to get the ball rolling -

Can we assume the garage ring is RCD protected?
Are there any other services coming into the shed or is it just a wooden hut, typical gardeners shed?
Would the socket be used for a heating load?

To avoid certain members 'going off on one' I would use the correct term 'Ring Final Circuit' rather than 'Ring Main'. Daz

helmets are usually (non-combustible) steel . tin maybe used as an anti-corrosion coating, but is pretty useless at stopping shrapnel.

1. Tin
    Chemical Element

Tin is a chemical element with the symbol Sn and atomic number 50. It is a main group metal in group 14 of the periodic table. Wikipedia

Symbol: Sn

Melting point: 231.9 °C

Electron configuration: [Kr] 4d[SUP]10[/SUP]5s[SUP]2[/SUP]5p[SUP]2[/SUP]

Atomic number: 50

Atomic mass: 118.71 u

Boiling point: 2,603 °C

Electrons per shell: 2, 8, 18, 18, 4

Last edited:
helmets are usually (non-combustible) steel . tin maybe used as an anti-corrosion coating, but is pretty useless at stopping shrapnel.

1. Tin
    Chemical Element

Tin is a chemical element with the symbol Sn and atomic number 50. It is a main group metal in group 14 of the periodic table. Wikipedia

Symbol: Sn

Melting point: 231.9 °C

Electron configuration: [Kr] 4d[SUP]10[/SUP]5s[SUP]2[/SUP]5p[SUP]2[/SUP]

Atomic number: 50

Atomic mass: 118.71 u

Boiling point: 2,603 °C

Electrons per shell: 2, 8, 18, 18, 4

Gawd!! .... Just wot we need - a Scouser with a GCE O level.

@ the OP Mike, this seems to be a little bit over your head going by the questions you have asked. You really need to get a local electrician in that will design this or install it for you.

i have an A level with distinction, abbreviated to AW, which in practical terms refers to Alloy Wheels.

Reply to Power Supply to Shed in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net