Discuss Power to shed. Thoughts? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

So I have a "customer" wanting power supplied to an outside shed they are building in the near future which is going to serve as a sort of outside bar type area.

All wiring will be within the shed and the circuits installed will be a radial power circuit and a lighting circuit. I plan to wire these in singles within plastic conduit and have it surface mounted. Nothing special here.

I plan to use 2 core SWA to supply this, either in 2.5mm² or 4mm² (most likely 4 to future proof it.) which will be buried through the garden, most likely installed within cable ducting.

The supply earthing arrangement is PME, so I'm thinking this shed will need to have its own earth rod installed and the earth from the house terminated and isolated from the consumer unit within the shed.

There is a little snag however, and that is the placement of the consumer unit within the property. It is located inside the downstairs toilet, in the top corner. There is no easy way to route cables to this location as the utility room on the other side of the wall has a fully tiled floor. (I have attached a picture of the back door and utility room and the wall which is on the other side from the consumer unit.)

My plan to tackle that would be to run a length of conduit from one wall, onto the ceiling and then back down onto the wall which backs outside (this is a utility room and the "customer" is fine with this arrangement), have this connected to an external weatherproof box and then via appropriate connectors, glands and the likes link onto the SWA which will be clipped direct to the wall and then run down the side of the house and then off to the shed.

This is my first actual domestic setting job, and I'm just wanting a bit input and thoughts from the experience of people on the forums. Would you suggest anything? Do anything differently? I'm interested to hear!

20170620_193604.jpg 20170620_193616.jpg 20170620_193630.jpg

Thanks for reading!

20170620_194739.jpg

Good evening everyone,

So I have a "customer" wanting power supplied to an outside shed they are building in the near future which is going to serve as a sort of outside bar type area.

All wiring will be within the shed and the circuits installed will be a radial power circuit and a lighting circuit. I plan to wire these in singles within plastic conduit and have it surface mounted. Nothing special here.

I plan to use 2 core SWA to supply this, either in 2.5mm² or 4mm² (most likely 4 to future proof it.) which will be buried through the garden, most likely installed within cable ducting.

The supply earthing arrangement is PME, so I'm thinking this shed will need to have its own earth rod installed and the earth from the house terminated and isolated from the consumer unit within the shed.

There is a little snag however, and that is the placement of the consumer unit within the property. It is located inside the downstairs toilet, in the top corner. There is no easy way to route cables to this location as the utility room on the other side of the wall has a fully tiled floor. (I have attached a picture of the back door and utility room and the wall which is on the other side from the consumer unit.)

My plan to tackle that would be to run a length of conduit from one wall, onto the ceiling and then back down onto the wall which backs outside (this is a utility room and the "customer" is fine with this arrangement), have this connected to an external weatherproof box and then via appropriate connectors, glands and the likes link onto the SWA which will be clipped direct to the wall and then run down the side of the house and then off to the shed.

This is my first actual domestic setting job, and I'm just wanting a bit input and thoughts from the experience of people on the forums. Would you suggest anything? Do anything differently? I'm interested to hear!

View attachment 36943 View attachment 36944 View attachment 36945

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 36946
what about running it under the plinth of the cupboards cutting a hole and fishing it up the wall to the consumer unit? Being a new build I would of thought they are stud walls? There might be a nogging at around 1200mm so you could cut a 1 gang box in with a multi tool and use a blank plate in the downstairs toilet or put the piece back in you've cut and fill the whole and the customer can tosh the wall which isn't going to be very big in a downstairs WC. Failing that pull the carpet back up stairs and use a solid board cutter and inserts to get a route to outside then conduit down the wall. Conduit across the ceiling will look gash imo and you might have to use metal supports which will make it look even worse. Another solution but not ideal would be to put a switch fuse in the meter cupboard and split the tails with Henly blocks and run the SWA from there.

Good evening everyone,

View attachment 36943 View attachment 36944 View attachment 36945

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 36946
Crikey did you install that SWA?

Why are you planning on ditching a perfectly good Earthing system for TT? Are there any extraneous conductive parts in the shed? What is going to be powered from the shed as if the Design current isn't much then would a fused spur from the socket circuit suffice? If the design current is higher than 13A and the board is a pig to get too then you could always split the tails in the external meter cabinet and run a new sub main from there.

Looks like a newish house, is it floor boards or chipboard? Another option if the floor isn't tiled/laminate above the utility room is to take the cable up the external wall and drill through between the ground floor ceiling and first floor and take it through that way and then in to the board.

To be honest I am not 100% sure on the rules behind exporting the PME, I was under the impression it wasn't allowed? The shed will be made of wood so no extraneous parts I can think of! I've not got my Regs book to hand so I'd have to look into the rules behind that!

Again that was an option, however I don't know how feasible that will be as the closest outlet (in the conservatory) looks like its already a spur from the RFC.

can you feed your SWA through the wall units in that utility room?

and what's that cable outside ( above the door ) for, a washing line?

Quite possible to go that route, but was trying to avoid having to cut out half of the house going horizontal through the wall.

The smaller one is for a sky multiroom, and the SWA is for an outdoor security light.

Can you remove the crown molding fitted to the Kitchen cabinets and run the cable in the void?

Reply to Power to shed. Thoughts? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net