Discuss Powerful SDS for drilling joists in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

eskimo39

Hi guys I have been using a Bosch 710w corded SDS drill for about 3 months now for drilling joists but am finding on older joists it just keeps getting stuck and the clutch keeps coming in.

I am now looking at buying a better quality SDS Plus to use with a 25mm auger bit. Does anyone use a drill which seems to have no problems with joists? Or is this something that doesn't exist?

I have seen a Bosch 1100w impact drill without SDS : Bosch GSB21-2RE 1100W Impact Hammer Drill (240V) - Power Tools, Drills - Corded, Impact and wondered if this was more suited to drilling wood or I have just seen this:Dewalt D25313K 26mm L-Shape SDS-Plus Combination Hammer 240V which just seems like a more powerful SDS drill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have a budget between £200-£275 and need 110v

Regards

Don't bother with auger bits. Get some of the irwin blue spiral ones they go through new and old joist like a knife through butter, Armeg do them as well think there called beaver bits or something. I would never go back to augers, think a complete set cost £30.

I'd stick to using the standard non sds drill too. What about a decent angle drill? Give you a little more room between the joists

Hi Pennywise,
Do you know where I can get the irwin blue spiral ones, as I too use the augers and they dont last at all.
Thanks and best regards,
Sav

Any Irwin stockiest should carry them screwfix even. I know for sure that D&M tools in Twickenham stock them. Correction they are around £37 at D&M they were £30 at the elex show at sandown sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother with auger bits. Get some of the irwin blue spiral ones they go through new and old joist like a knife through butter, Armeg do them as well think there called beaver bits or something. I would never go back to augers, think a complete set cost £30.
Got some of the Irwin ones (6 in a blue box cost about £30) but never thought to use them for multiple joists, only use the auger bits as they are SDS and fit my corded drill. Have always just used the Irwin ones in my cordless for drilling through one or two joists/studs to save unpacking the sds.

I'd stick to using the standard non sds drill too. What about a decent angle drill? Give you a little more room between the joists
I didn't think angle drills were as powerful! Will the bosch 1100w be better for wood? I am not bothered about masonary drilling as I have a cordless SDS for thiat.

Thanks to everyone for the replies

Bosch also do bits like the irwin ones ,if you go to an official bosch dealer see if you can do a deal on both.My local bosch dealer always gives me a good deal on multiple purchases.

I use the CK fast four bits. They fly through the joists :) They are about a fiver each from the wholesaler but i managed to pick up 3 for a tenner and the Elex show :)

These are the dogs, my 18v dewalt cordless will go through any joist even with the 35mm bit in. They will even rip through knots in the joists as well.:D

just a quick question, why the mention of SDS for drilling wood? I appreciate you may want an all purpose drill and I assume you dont use the sds facility for drilling wood? (can you deselect sds on your drill gun )- basically the SDS hammers the drill bit in, exactly what you dont want for wood. Sorry if fyou already know this. I have a 240 volt angle drill for joists, with auger bits, but will get some of those mentioned above. You will come across MOST joists that you cannot fit a drill gun in between, an angle drill is the answer. Spendat least £150 on one (mains ) you will find the very places you are allowed to drill/access etc have the knots in, you will do a whole baterry on trying toget through one of those ! An angle drill you can feed between pipes, other cables and drill away. Try it with a normal drill ! dont be pursuaded into gettting one of those chuck adaptors either, the whole assembly will still be to long, and er, make a mistake and the chuck adaptor flies around ! - or simply the gearings smash after a few joists.

The wife is going to kill me but I love a bargain. Just bought a Dewalt D25314K drill and Makita DA4000LR for £400 the pair, brand new delivered.

Also ordered some Armeg beaver bits so am now ready to tackle anything :eek:

Thanks for all your advice.

I was given a Blue Irwin bit to drill through a row of joists and I bought my own set the same day, they are great, fly through joists :)

Maybe your drill bit is blunt ? My makita 18v cordless with dewalt bit flies through them.

Screwfix got a set of Irwin on sale now.

Irwin Wood Drilling & Flat Bit Set 8Pcs - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

we had some sort of milwaukee joist drill on a company i used to work for would blast a 32mm auger through a 2ft oak beam no problem, you could take the nadle off too for narrow gaps like a proper right angle drill. the torque was insane though so you had to rest it against your body as the clutch was pretty much non existant.

this looks like it but im sure it was alot more poweful

Transtools

Maybe your drill bit is blunt ? My makita 18v cordless with dewalt bit flies through them.

Screwfix got a set of Irwin on sale now.

Irwin Wood Drilling & Flat Bit Set 8Pcs - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

that the black dewalt spade/flat bits i think they are awsome and better than irwin blue bits, which i have found as soon as you clip a nail with are poop

Reply to Powerful SDS for drilling joists in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock