Discuss Powering a hot tub off a 13A socket.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tkm16

Hi,

I have recently been given a hot tub which is powered from a standard 13A plug. The manual says to connect it to a 13A IP66 socket which I currently don't have. I have been told I could just run a spur off the downstairs ring main to a IP66 socket outside, is this correct? I mean i'm no electrician but I thought will all the kitchen appliances etc wouldnt adding a hot tub overload the ring main?

Thanks!

what's the rating of the hot tub? generalyl, if it'comes with a fitted plug, your plan seems fine. don'tforget that the heater in the tub is only intermittent, due to thermostat.

I called a local electrical lad who has done work for me before and he suggested a spur...for some reason it just sent alarm bells ringing! Is there any calculations I could do to calculate the current load on the ring main? I may just call someone else if the power works out to be too much.

It is possible, but it will be tricky. We have a few spare mcb's in the CU but running the cable will be the hardest part as it goes under a wooden floor.

The CU us under the stairs and the hallway has been done in a hardwood style laminate floor so the routing of the cable will be hard. I will look at lifting floor boards in the living room tomorrow to see how hard it will be.

Google the confounded human slow-cooker,it may be a lot less onerous,in terms of power requirements,than you suspect. I repaired one for a pal,and it was only pulling a few hundred watts,took 3 full days to get water up to temp,which then thermostatically switches on/off,with a constant 50 watts for circulation pump.

agree with PEG .most hot tubs that come with a fitted plug only pull 8 -9A when heating.

I've got a hot tub (uses more than 13A!)
Note that the heater isn't the only current draw. When the heaters on the pump runs and they can be juicy as well.
Mine tended to trip when it started up as there was a peak draw. Ok on a fuse but on a breaker near its limit you may get tripping.

Reply to Powering a hot tub off a 13A socket.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net